Adding cameras

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
bugmenot

Adding cameras

Post by bugmenot »

I try to add 046d:09a6 Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro (UVC and works with linux) and Raspberry Pi Camera Module cameras to latest ZoneMinder in latest Raspbian and Logitech worked little time until i changed some settings.

When i plug Logitech in, i can see in /dev/ directory 3 new items, video1, video0 and media0 and i have tried all these in Source>Device Path. Default was /dev/video0.

Console says Running. Ball in start of row is some times green, some times red.

If i open camera, it don’t show camera, between camera name and State there is only white and State row under it is “State: - fps”.

Under pause… buttons appears new events 10-20 sec long and frames are 1/1 or 2/2 or 0/0, but if i click open event, video is black with x in center and text "the video could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported zoneminder".

I right clicked where video should been and copied image url and opened in new Firefox tab: "the connection was reset".

Storage folder is empty except there are dated folders with snapshot.jpg but no videos.

Is the reason for all this that i have not done this:

Dedicated Drive, Partition, or Network Share
https://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/la ... drive.html

So do i really need to do this or can i just set Storage Path to pi/Desktop/ZM? If i use default /var/cache/zoneminder path it still saves just snapshot.jpg, no videos.

If in need to do that. Is there any easier instructions for that, which includes easy instructions for "Step 2: Mount your dedicated drive, partition, or network share to the local filesystem in any folder of your choosing"?

Monitor Settings:

When i try to setup Pi Camera Module, if i choose "ONVIF" then it finds "IP-camera @ 192.168.1.2 using version 1.2" but then Detected Profiles is empty so i cannot continue.

Pi Cam has same Source, /dev/video0 but i don't know where to find correct path for Pi Cam.

I did this thing below and booted when trying to get pi camera module to work but still can't figure out why it don't work:

"If using the Pi camera, you will need to enable it in raspi-config as well as loading the v4l2 kernel module by adding the following to your /etc/modules

bcm2835-v4l2"

I had OPT_USE_AUTH enabled and i did not get any video and now it is disabled.
bbunge

Re: Adding cameras

Post by bbunge »

Instructions for mounting external drive: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... ive_or_NAS
Will work for Debian as well as Ubuntu.
As for the Zoneminder setup on the pi search this forum. I posted an install procedure a week or so ago.
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

I tried this mounting thing and it almost worked. Going to try later again.

What if i just plug USB-stick to Raspberry and then look what path it has in GUI and paste that path to ZoneMinder Storage preferences?

Does that work and does ZoneMinder then start to save videos too??
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

I plugged in USB-stick which is in ext4 format and booted and added its path to Storage but now it says in Storage that DiskSpace is 0B of 0B??

So i can't test if saving videos works this way so i don't need to go thru that long list of terminal commands about mounting points etc.

Maybe that 0B is because permissions are

View Only owner
Change content Only owner
Access content Only owner

But if i try to change permissions to Anyone, Anyone, Anyone by right clicking /media/pi/Stick andchoosing Properties, i get error:

the file operation was completed with errors
error setting permissions: operation not permitted

Stick has now lost+found directory.
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

Sorry to ask again but do i really get this mount point stuff working and use external USB-storage before ZoneMinder starts to record video or if i have simple test setup, can i just create folder to desktop and add that path to my camera preferences Storage Area so it records video to folder in Desktop? Thanks