zmEventRate changing to 1 and no event streaming

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
MJN

zmEventRate changing to 1 and no event streaming

Post by MJN »

Not sure how best to describe this as I am unclear what is causing what or how I am triggering it...

Playing around with my ZM installation (v1.32.3 on Ubuntu 16.04 from Connor's PPA, and Chrome 71.0.3578.98 as the browser) I started seeing errors along the following log entries when trying to view stored events:

Code: Select all

Jan 17 22:48:41 rugrat web_php[32560]: ERR [Timed out waiting for msg /tmp/zm/zms-595707s.sock]
Jan 17 22:48:41 rugrat web_php[32560]: ERR [No data to read from socket]
Jan 17 22:48:41 rugrat web_php[32560]: ERR [getCmdResponse stream error: No data to read from socket - checkStreamForErrors()]
And only the first frame of each video was being shown.

This only occurred for those cameras with stored JPEGs; those with H264 Camera Passthrough available/enabled were fine as was live streaming of all of them.

I happened to notice my playback rate was set to 0.01x and I couldn't change this with the on-screen arrows. Similarly, the zmEventRate cookie value was set to 1. I tried clearing the cookies (not sure why - was willing to give anything a go) and sure enough I was back working again! Playback rate was set to a default of 1x (and could be set with the arrows to +/-2x, 5x, 10x - never fractions though) and the zmEventrate was set to 100 (for 1x), 200 (for 2x) etc.

Any ideas what the problem was here? It's happened several times today and whilst I have been making various tweaks here and there I can't put my finger on what is triggering the problem. It's been working fine for weeks. Could this be a bug, or is it something I am doing 'wrong' to cause this behaviour?
MJN

Re: zmEventRate changing to 1 and no event streaming

Post by MJN »

Aha! I've found how to reproduce the problem now:

1. View an event on a camera with H264 Camera Passthrough enabled
2. Let the event run to the end or manually change the playback rate, press pause then play - either way the playback rate resets to 1x and, crucially, the zmEventRate cookied value also gets set to 1 (should be 100)
3. Attempt to view an event on a camera without H264 Camera Passthrough enabled at which point the zmEventRate of 1 in the cookie results in the playback rate being set to 0.01x thus causing the failure and associated errors to occur

I have a feeling that this is a bug introduced by this change and subsequently fixed with this one so I will await the next release and reset my cookies as workaround in the meantime.
pavlo

Post by pavlo »

I just encountered this same issue when experimenting with H264 passthrough.

Deleting that cookie resolved the rate being stuck at 0.01X - so I guess that bug is still there in 1.32.3 (my current version).
MJN

Post by MJN »

Yes, it's still in 1.32.3 but that's to be expected as bug fixes like this won't be retrospectively applied. The current development versions have fixed it and so this will pass through to the next release in due course.
pavlo

Post by pavlo »

Oh, there hasn't been a new official/stable version since this thread started? Somehow I thought... ah well, we shall wait then. Indeed we are waiting on a number of fixes, heh...

In the meantime I also figured raise the visibility of the fix, I really had to slog through the search results to find this one.