BUG REPORT: Issues when camera login information differs from user login

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
dws

BUG REPORT: Issues when camera login information differs from user login

Post by dws »

When adding a camera to ZM, if the camera's username and password differs from the username used to login to ZM, and if you put that login information in the ONVIF probe window, after the camera is added, NO video streams are unable to be viewed by the user logged in until they log out of ZM and back in.

The credentials used to stream data from a password protected camera should not change the login credentials for the user of ZM, but it seems they do.

I have observed this behavior on two separate systems.

Ubuntu 18.10 bare metal on a Dell PowerEdge T410 (2x5670, 32G RAM)
Ubuntu 18.04 on an ESXi VM

The issue is easily reproduced.

A user could spend hours trying to figure out why their cameras aren't streaming after adding a new one, before they log out and log back in to the ZM from the web console.
rockedge

Re: BUG REPORT: Issues when camera login information differs from user login

Post by rockedge »

I think what you are seeing is happening when Options->System->AUTH_RELAY is set to "hashed". This is then set new upon logout / login and the hash value will allow authorization and the streams are available to view. Try and set Options->System->AUTH_RELAY to "none" and see if this behavior continues.
dws

Post by dws »

Hashed logins isn't turned on on my setup, so, no... that's not the case...

The auth to access the camera streams should be separate from the auth to login to ZoneMinder, is my point. This behavior indicates that the camera access auth after ONVIF probe is tied to ZM login credentials, and, IMHO, they should be separate....

I don't want to put my ZM admin username/password on the cameras... that's a security issue. The cams should have different login credentials than the ZM that controls them.

Changing the credentials in the window after ONVIF probe creates a state in ZM where the user adding the cameras becomes both logged in and not logged in at the same time. The only way to cure that, presently, is to logout and log back in to ZM.

Any other thoughts?
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

Ahhhhh.... now I understand.

this should not be the case...did you submit a bug report?

I always create new user like "justlook" that only has permissions to view streams which has a different password than the cameras and the admin of the zoneminder system. I will try to get what you describe to happen on my system. My admin user and password are different than the cameras...and the cameras don't use the same password either
dws

Post by dws »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:50 pm Ahhhhh.... now I understand.

this should not be the case...did you submit a bug report?

I always create new user like "justlook" that only has permissions to view streams which has a different password than the cameras and the admin of the zoneminder system. I will try to get what you describe to happen on my system. My admin user and password are different than the cameras...and the cameras don't use the same password either
No, I haven't submitted an official bug report, because I wasn't 100% sure it isn't me screwing something up with a dependency or somesuch...
If someone else is able to reproduce this, then I'll submit the bug.
Were you able do recreate the behavior? The biggest clue to the "logged in/not logged in" is, after adding the cam, no camera streams will be viewable, and the ZM log will start filling with "unable to authenticate user" error messages. At that point, logging out of ZM and back in lets you view cams again.

-dws
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

There is no link bewen zoneminder auth and the credentials used in onvif probing. This issue is more complex than you think.
dws

Post by dws »

iconnor wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:27 pm There is no link bewen zoneminder auth and the credentials used in onvif probing. This issue is more complex than you think.
There is a correlation between changing the ONVIF credentials when adding a camera and the user then being able to view any camera from within zoneminder after a camera is added... doing so does cause "unable to authenticate user" errors in the log when that user attempts to view any camera on the ZM system, until the user who added the camera logs out of ZM and then back in...

It may not be a direct link, but there is a link, there... Possibly a global variable (ONVIF username/pass?) being used where a local one should have been...

I don't, presently, have the time to read through the ZM code, as I'm in the middle of coding some software for work, and I don't want to get the two jumbled in my brain. I'm also nowhere near pro enough to think that I could do any better.

I'm simply reporting the symptoms and proposing a potential cause.

Thanks for your answer, and for looking at this.
dws

Post by dws »

Any update on this?

-dws
ssl

Post by ssl »

I confirm the bug, I have installed ubuntu 18.04 and zoneminder 1.32.3, set 3 cameras and I could watch the live, but when I used onvif, I could not see the live anymore. I had to log out and log in again to watch the live.