Are Kernel Memory Settings Still Required?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
jsylvia007

Are Kernel Memory Settings Still Required?

Post by jsylvia007 »

I'm basically performing a clean install of 1.32.1 on my Ubuntu 18.04.1 box. I've continued to roll forward my "kernel.shmall" and "kernel.shmmax" settings.

I'm not sure that I still need them as the documents appear to point at the fact that MMap made these obsolete. Is that true or do I still need to set them.
knight-of-ni

Re: Are Kernel Memory Settings Still Required?

Post by knight-of-ni »

Those parameters have been not been needed since the day ZoneMinder switched to using mmap, which was 1.25.0, which was 10 years ago.

This is one of those things that has become an Urban Legend, and no amount of documentation seems to dispel the myth that shmall and shmax are still needed by ZoneMinder.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
jsylvia007

Re: Are Kernel Memory Settings Still Required?

Post by jsylvia007 »

knight-of-ni wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:22 pm Those parameters have been not been needed since the day ZoneMinder switched to using mmap, which was 1.25.0, which was 10 years ago.

This is one of those things that has become an Urban Legend, and no amount of documentation seems to dispel the myth that shmall and shmax are still needed by ZoneMinder.
Thank you so much!

Let this be the post to rule them all...

You heard it here folks from the horse's mouth... Kernel.SHMALL and Kernel.SHMMAX are OBSOLETE!!!