Zoneminder 1.32.1 for Ubuntu

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
bbunge

Zoneminder 1.32.1 for Ubuntu

Post by bbunge »

Zoneminder 1.32.1 is in the zoneminder-master PPA

Be sure to do:
service zoneminder stop
apt update
apt upgrade

That's it!
jannnfe

Re: Zoneminder 1.32.1 for Ubuntu

Post by jannnfe »

Hello,
is updating really that easy? I think about it all the time, if I should dare the update. I am afraid of losing my data. Is there a good way to make a backup of Zoneminder on Ubuntu?

The main reason why I like to update is the support of audio. Do I think this right, that then synonymous audio, which receives the camera is recorded and output in the web interface in livestream?

How do I add the zoneminder-master PPA?

Thanks!
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

now it is zoneminder-1.32

add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-1.32

I use Webmin to manage my server. It has the ability to backup a database.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

1.32.0 had a bug that might delete your data, so you'd have to backup the files as well as the db.
We believe that 1.32.1 is solid.

Please note that some of the db modifications can take a long time if you have a lot of events. (like an hour even).

Taking a db dump is always a good idea. I have mine do it nightly.
mysqldump -u zmuser -p zm > zm.sql
should do it.
Pedulla

Post by Pedulla »

Just to confirm... @iconnor...

This link should be good to go?
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
jannnfe

Post by jannnfe »

Is it really necessary to have a Ubuntu 18.04 installation to firstly, to guide through the instructions in the link and second, even to install Zoneminder 1.32.1?
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Pedulla wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:39 am Just to confirm... @iconnor...

This link should be good to go?
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
I have used that install script several times with no issues. Built an upgrade for my production system on Friday and ran it on another test build this afternoon. I usually use a minimum Ubuntu install from the net boot CD and add features as I need them. I have also run the script on the Ubuntu server install as well as several of the desktop variants.

You need to have LAMP installed (with either MySQL or Mariadb) and run the script as root (sudo su).
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

jannnfe wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:58 am Is it really necessary to have a Ubuntu 18.04 installation to firstly, to guide through the instructions in the link and second, even to install Zoneminder 1.32.1?
You can use any supported Linux distro. Ubuntu and Centos are well documented. Debian may have a 1.32.x package but I have not checked it in a while.
jannnfe

Post by jannnfe »

For all of you who are also scared of having to run the update and think that they are losing their data...
I did the update 2 hours ago with the script at the top of the link and so far it works fine.
I do not have to configure anything everything was done automatically!

Nice Job thanks! :)
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

even distros tahr, xenial and bionic from the Puppy Linux family will run ZM nicely...not as straight forward to install as some the others but when it is, runs very well and with tahr and 1.32.1 in about 400 megs of RAM with ZM,LAMP and OS

most solid setup runs Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.5 with Hiawatha, MariaDB, PHP 7.2 and PERL and ZM 1.30.4...fast, responsive and reliable
but with the new Bionicpup64 and ZM 1.32.1 and being able to store the events outside of the Bionicpup64 file system (like an external drive) it is the one with the most potential. Using a 4.18.9 RT kernel and only 600 megs of RAM it is wickedly fast.

These Puppy Linux variants are built using Ubuntu binaries and libs, are compatible with the Ubuntu repos and use the iconner PPA
a lot of Debian stuff runs as well. Not for everyone but really tops for an older box and a small business or home. I have constructed ZoneMinder on a bootable USB stick....a traveling zoneminder or like me on a older Poweredge server with a RAID array, virtual disks and the OS and ZM boot from a separate 8gig USB stick and store events on the 4 terabytes of drives. In this case the OS and ZM use about 800 megs of the USB stick and runs in around 350-800 megs of RAM. The machine has 16gigs of RAM