A lot of questions :)

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
benj29

A lot of questions :)

Post by benj29 »

Hello,

I'm a french newbie user :).

Coming from Jeedom and other domotics solution, i move to zoneminder due to lack possibility on motion detection after tried shinobi, surveillance station on my QNAP etc.

I've installed into a VM with 2 processors, 4 Gb of RAM on my QNAP 453A (N3150 1.6 GHz with 16 GB) with Debian 9 distro updated. My cameras are Wanscam HW38 (3), 1 doorbird DS101 and 2 xiaomi xiafang.

Is debian is the best distro to use ZM ?

I have installed ZM using this wiki :
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_9_64 ... e_Easy_Way
and i do the change for /tmp in the menu to /dev/shm.

I have configured all my cameras using RTSP and it's working (no an easy point especially for my xiafang cameras).

And I have a lot of questions :

- when i set the resolution to the max resolution of my cameras (1920x1080 for xiaofang, 1280x1024 for wanscam, 1280x720 for doorbird), the /dev/shm will be more 100% and I saw a lot of trouble on IP cameras value (goes in red). I have understand that my poor QNAP will be not be sufficient to use these resolutions. I moved to 640x480 and after 1024x768 and now the /dev/shm will be near 33% (with modect on 4 cameras, 2 on monitor).
I search for a rex on this point, VM on my QNAP is a good idea to use ZM or do you recommand to use a NUC in direct with i3/i5 processor ?

Other point, i saw a charge of > 4 (between 4.4 and 5), so i've decided to upgrade the number of VM's processors from 2 to 4. But now, the charge will go more than 6 ! My QNAP will virtualize a small VM of debian 8 (with 1 proc/1 gb) for a bluetooth antenna (with no charge...) and this VM (and other services like plex, etc).

- when i launch a console i saw a lot of error "message" from syslogd and i can't type anything in the console.

- all my wanscam cameras are in PLC and Ethernet connexion through a switch GB ; the doorbird is in ethernet direct connexion without PLC and Xiafang are in wifi. All my network is managed by a ASUS RT5300 + ASUS RT68U in Aimesh. Of course,

When i saw the log, i saw a lot of trouble !

and when i saw the console, the IPs will go from green to red ; all my cameras... alternatively (1 in red, after 2 in red for example etc).

I have other questions after... but now i try to install / use correctly my ZM installation :)
bbunge

Re: A lot of questions :)

Post by bbunge »

With high resolution cameras you need more memory. Linux, by default, uses half of the installed RAM for tmpfs and most of that for /dev/shm. I am running 17 cameras at 640x480 with 8 GIG of RAM and use only 34% of /dev/shm. Your database will need to use some of that RAM as well. While I do not advocate using a VM or container for production Zoneminder you may be able to increase the resources, RAM to 8 GIG, and make it work. You would be better off with an old PC than a VM. You also do not need high resolution cameras for a security system. Zoneminder is not designed for HD movies!

For a Linux distro Debian is OK but Ubuntu is my choice and generally has fewer problems.
benj29

Post by benj29 »

Hurmf... thanks for your reply.
I have started to install into VM Ubuntu 18 and move my ZM installation.
OK, so in future, if i will be satisfied of ZM, buying a nuc will small processor (like 3150 or i3) but memory will be a good idea :p
benj29

Post by benj29 »

When i try to install on ubuntu 18 zm using https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
I can't install ... due to lack of sources.list repository.

How I can install ?
mikb

Post by mikb »

bbunge wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:21 pm Zoneminder is not designed for HD movies!
Clearly not, but it does look like ZoneMinder is trying to *watch* a DVD in those error messages :)
benj29

Post by benj29 »

yes !

i'm blocked. i can't install zm on my VM's ubuntu 18 due to a trouble of adding repository in the script provided in the guide.
Any idea ?
benj29

Post by benj29 »

After try a lot of time (> 10 !) to install ZM on Ubuntu18 ... every time I have a dependancy trouble...
I test ZM on Ubuntu16 and it works / installed perfectly.

Now, I moved to Debian9 + ZM 1.30.

How can i updated to the last version of ZM ?