Bit confused by the Ubuntu stable PPA situation and 1.32.x

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
c128

Bit confused by the Ubuntu stable PPA situation and 1.32.x

Post by c128 »

Hi,

Noticed that the new installation instructions reference the stable PPA to install 1.32.x, from where I currently have 1.30.4 installed i.e. https://launchpad.net/~iconnor/+archive ... zoneminder . However, 1.32.x packages don't seem to be published there, although there are specific builds that have been made but that aren't picked up by through a normal upgrade e.g. https://launchpad.net/~iconnor/+archive ... d/15453489 .

Are we "safe" to use those builds, or is it just a matter of being patient for a "formal" 1.32.x build to be published within the stable PPA?

Thanks.
sagitt

Re: Bit confused by the Ubuntu stable PPA situation and 1.32.x

Post by sagitt »

for me 1.32 upgrade (and fresh install too) won't work.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I've upgraded my test machine a couple of times from Ubuntu 16.04 ZM 1.30.4 to ZM 1.32.0 successfully. Did it the other day when 1.32.0 hit the PPA and again just a couple of minutes ago using the ppa zoneminder-master. Had about 50 GIG of events from running mocord overnight and preliminary testing shows the box to be working OK for the features I've tested.

I've seen something about needing additional grants for the zm user on the database server. Doing a "grant all" should catch it on a new install but the grants should be OK on an upgrade. The 1.30.4 install has an entry in the my.cnf (sql_mode = NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION) which may not be needed for 1.32.0 as the database was supposed to be fixed. Leaving it in the file for now on my test machine.

If you have a system that does not work you may be able to get it going by switching to the zoneminder-master PPA and forcing a reinstall.

Oh, reboot the server after an upgrade.
c128

Post by c128 »

bbunge wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:20 pm I've upgraded my test machine a couple of times from Ubuntu 16.04 ZM 1.30.4 to ZM 1.32.0 successfully. Did it the other day when 1.32.0 hit the PPA and again just a couple of minutes ago using the ppa zoneminder-master
Not totally clear on what you're saying there - when you initial say "did it the other day when 1.32.0 hit the PPA" do you mean the stable PPA, or both times from zoneminder-master?

I know it's available from the master PPA, but I've personally only ever used the stable PPA for the official releases, and like to stick to it, so was just wondering whether there was a reason it wasn't installable from there at the moment.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

c128 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 pm
bbunge wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:20 pm I've upgraded my test machine a couple of times from Ubuntu 16.04 ZM 1.30.4 to ZM 1.32.0 successfully. Did it the other day when 1.32.0 hit the PPA and again just a couple of minutes ago using the ppa zoneminder-master
Not totally clear on what you're saying there - when you initial say "did it the other day when 1.32.0 hit the PPA" do you mean the stable PPA, or both times from zoneminder-master?

I know it's available from the master PPA, but I've personally only ever used the stable PPA for the official releases, and like to stick to it, so was just wondering whether there was a reason it wasn't installable from there at the moment.
First time when 1.32.0 was on the zoneminder ppa and today from the zoneminder-master ppa. It is not on the zoneminder ppa because of some reported issues (and I'm not sure just what they were). I did the upgrade from the zoneminder-master ppa to see what would happen with a machine with a couple of GIG of events. Most of the time I do a test upgrade there are not many events as I have images of systems that I clone so I do not have to run full installs (with a USB3 external drive with Clonezilla I can image Ubuntu with Zoneminder installed in about 4 minutes). I do not advocate using an install from a development PPA for a production system but you may be able to recover a failed system, just maybe...
c128

Post by c128 »

bbunge wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:30 pm First time when 1.32.0 was on the zoneminder ppa and today from the zoneminder-master ppa. It is not on the zoneminder ppa because of some reported issues (and I'm not sure just what they were). I did the upgrade from the zoneminder-master ppa to see what would happen with a machine with a couple of GIG of events. Most of the time I do a test upgrade there are not many events as I have images of systems that I clone so I do not have to run full installs (with a USB3 external drive with Clonezilla I can image Ubuntu with Zoneminder installed in about 4 minutes). I do not advocate using an install from a development PPA for a production system but you may be able to recover a failed system, just maybe...
Ah, I understand - wasn't aware there were some known issues at the moment.

Thanks!
sagitt

Post by sagitt »

where is the old zoneminder ppa version?
No version for xenial in the stable ppa

i've a lot of problems with 1.32, please upload again the old version.
Schermata 2018-09-20 alle 19.09.19.png
Schermata 2018-09-20 alle 19.09.19.png (47.11 KiB) Viewed 325589 times
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

wh33lz

Post by wh33lz »

sagitt wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:10 pm where is the old zoneminder ppa version?
No version for xenial in the stable ppa
i've a lot of problems with 1.32, please upload again the old version.
I managed to reinstall 1.30.4, after purging 1.32,
I removed 1.32 (for the time being...) using these commands

WARNING ! these commands will remove almost all Zoneminder files, dependencies, configurations, past events and the Zoneminder database. You will be starting from scratch. So backup what ever you want to keep. You have been WARNED!.
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove zoneminder
sudo mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf -f drop zm

Use the following instructions to re-install 1.30
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way
Last edited by wh33lz on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

People get surprised when they have the stable ppa and suddenly get upgraded. So in future I will create a new ppa for each version. Unfortunately it's a lot of work, so it's not done yet.

The new ppa will likely be called ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-1.32

At the moment the master ppa is as stable as it gets.
wh33lz

Post by wh33lz »

iconnor wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:34 pm People get surprised when they have the stable ppa and suddenly get upgraded. So in future I will create a new ppa for each version. Unfortunately it's a lot of work, so it's not done yet.

The new ppa will likely be called ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-1.32

At the moment the master ppa is as stable as it gets.
Really do appreciate all your work.
Proprietary software is such crap when compared to Zoneminder.

Is is possible to get a list of the different PPA's ?
I am confused since https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... PA_version states "Master" is Beta software.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

wh33lz wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 pm
iconnor wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:34 pm At the moment the master ppa is as stable as it gets.
I am confused since https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... PA_version states "Master" is Beta software.
Well, things change and the zoneminder-master and zoneminder-storageareas ppa's were and still are development areas. It is not wrong to call development software BETA! If and when this changes I'll do my best to get the WIKI area's updated. Yes, things are a bit confused right now and it will take time to get it sorted out. There are still 1.30.4 installs for Xenial (64 bit only) and Bionic (32 and 64 bit). Best if you need help with 1.30.4 to use the 1.30.x forum area.
sagitt

Post by sagitt »

so what is the right command to install zoneminder 1.30.4 with the standard ppa?
Pedulla

Post by Pedulla »

sagitt wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:21 pm so what is the right command to install zoneminder 1.30.4 with the standard ppa?
This is the 1.32 forum... Check out the 1.30 forum.
viewforum.php?f=36