Zoneminder 1.30.4 on Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 Nightly Build

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
bbunge

Zoneminder 1.30.4 on Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 Nightly Build

Post by bbunge »

The official release of Ubuntu Bionic 18.0 is just over a month away. And there have been a lot of changes/updates!
Zoneminder has been removed from the official Bionic repositories and PHP has been upgraded to version 7.2. The PHP version upgrade caused the Zoneminder API to not work. But thanks to the efforts of the dedicated ZM team a solution has been found!

Until the packages are upgraded on the iconnor PPA I have repackaged and tested Zoneminder 1.30.4 on Bionic. Here is a link to the WIKI procedure:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way

You will have to download the zoneminder-1.30.4-bionic-amd64.deb package from Google Drive with wget (yes, I was able to get it to work!!!)

As all things with pre-release systems expect changes!

I would also not recommend upgrading a working production system to Bionic! You have been warned!!!
bbunge

Re: Zoneminder 1.30.4 on Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 Nightly Build

Post by bbunge »

For those of you who are bold and like to try new things, I've developed a shell script to install Zoneminder 1.30.4 on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic AMD64.

This script can be found here on the WIKI:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... ell_script

About the only thing you have to do is install Bionic-server with LAMP (Apache, MySQL and PHP). The script does the rest including adding your timezone to the php.ini and modifing the my.cnf for Zoneminder. This also includes a fix for the API.

This is a step in the process of improving/automating the install procedure for Zoneminder. Yes, it is possible it could mess up a system and is not intended for an existing system.

I also plan, time permitting, to make a script for Mariadb server install. NGINX may also be in the future. I have to bone up an if-then-else and learn some other stuff.

Good luck!
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I've added a procedure to install Zoneminder on a Bionic LEMP (NGINX, Mariadb and PHP)

See: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... .2C_PHP.29
phallicmaelstrom

Post by phallicmaelstrom »

trying to work through these steps, new 18.04 install, new lamp install. apache, php and mysql are working, confirmed with phpmyadmin.

im to the point where i try to apt install the .deb, and it cant find the zmuser (mysql ERROR 1133).

Code: Select all

[root@moobuntu:/tmp]# apt install /tmp/zoneminder-1.30.4-bionic-amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'zoneminder' instead of '/tmp/zoneminder-1.30.4-bionic-amd64.deb'
zoneminder is already the newest version (1.30.4-bionic).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up zoneminder (1.30.4-bionic) ...
ERROR 1133 (42000) at line 1: Can't find any matching row in the user table
[root@moobuntu:/tmp]# 
i manually added zmuser with passwd zmpass and granted it essentially root priv, no luck.

i can connect to mysql with zmuser/zmpass from the console, the zm db and tables exist, but they're empty.

any ideas?
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Suggest you start over and follow the install instructions:

Make sure when you run mysql_secure_installation to NOT choose "Y" when asked to VALIDATE PASSWORD PLUGIN.

The easiest way to install Zoneminder on Bionic is to use the shell script on a new OS install.
bkjaya1952

Post by bkjaya1952 »

Please see the following link to find how the latest zoneminder versions can be installed on Ubuntu 18.04.
https://bkjaya.wordpress.com/
phallicmaelstrom

thanks for the reply. I ended up reverting to ubuntu 17, and using zm v1.30.4. next time I upgrade I'll check out what's available for ubuntu 18. again, tyvm.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

bkjaya1952 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:52 pm Please see the following link to find how the latest zoneminder versions can be installed on Ubuntu 18.04.
https://bkjaya.wordpress.com/
Actually the link above is for a development version of Zoneminder which has some nifty features but... there are likely some bugs...yet. Versions beyond 1.30.4 are not recommended for production installations. Install Zoneminder 1.31.x at your risk and expect things not to work!

I strongly recommend the Zoneminder WIKI for install instructions including upgrades to Ubuntu Bionic.
bkjaya1952

Post by bkjaya1952 »

Still There is no proper zoneminder wiki for the installation of zm 1.30.4 on ubuntu 18.04. There is one wiki on this subject . But the zm deb file on installation has been uploaded to a google drive which can not be trusted due to risk issues.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

bkjaya1952 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:38 pm Still There is no proper zoneminder wiki for the installation of zm 1.30.4 on ubuntu 18.04. There is one wiki on this subject . But the zm deb file on installation has been uploaded to a google drive which can not be trusted due to risk issues.
Actually, that package is available on OneDrive, Google Drive and a server I host. The install package is a 17.10 Zoneminder 1.30.4 .deb which has been modified to include fixes for PHP7.2, Cake and Crud to be used on Bionic. There are no security issues with it!

And I see you have no problems using my install procedure from the ZM WIKI. And, your procedure has steps that are not needed.
bkjaya1952

Post by bkjaya1952 »

Hi bbunge
I appreciate your efforts on finding a solution to the problem in installing Zoneminder 1.30.4 on Ubuntu 18.04 and publishing it in zm wiki.
phallicmaelstrom

it's been working quite well. I have an nvr pulling 1080p 24/7, but the motion events don't work for shit.. zm picks up motion perfect, and If it's something I need to investigate I hit the Chinese interface to the nvr, and capture we hat I need. I setup a monthly PayPal to you guys, it's what I can afford atm, I'm really thankful to the zm team. you have done excellent work, and again tyvm.
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

Given that Ubuntu 18.04 is the next LTS version of Ubuntu, and that 1.31 is "nowhere near ready for production use", what's the plan to support ZoneMinder 1.30.x on 18.04 long-term?

Is there a chance that someone will setup a PPA?

I'd offer some computing resources to it (I run a whole rack of servers in my house, and have the space to spare), but I haven't the slightest idea on how to do anything like that. I love ZM and all of it's functionality. I wrote the original install guides for Ubuntu on the Wiki almost 10 years ago, so I'd love to give back in another way now.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

I am running a zoneminder 1.30.4 on a Puppy Linux Bionic 18.05 32 bit with a kernel 4.17.9
Hiawatha 10.8.2 is the web server with mariaDB-server 10.1.34 ubuntu and PHP 7.2.7 and I used the Zesty zoneminder .deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/iconnor/zonemi ... 1_i386.deb

Important to note that the API must be fixed because of changes in PHP 7.2+
Starting with a stock zoneminder 1.30.4
Download the cakephp-2.10.8.zip and extract the contents
1. using the cakephp 2.10.8 folder overwrite the /lib folder in /usr/share/zoneminder/www/api
2. using Crud 3.1.0.zip swap the contents of the file into /usr/share/zoneminder/www/api/app/Plugin/Crud
(change the permissions of the folders to the web server user)
3. open /usr/share/zoneminder/www/api/app/Plugin/Crud/Controller/Crud/CrudeBaseObject.php and change around line 15

abstract class CrudBaseObject extends Object implements CakeEventListener {
to

abstract class CrudBaseObject extends CakeObject implements CakeEventListener {
the API should work as expected.
the links are:
Crud 3.1.0 :https://github.com/FriendsOfCake/crud/r ... tag/v3.1.0
cakephp 2.10.8 :https://github.com/cakephp/cakephp/arch ... 0.8.tar.gz

It runs very well and all features function. with zmNinja Desktop 32 bit running as well.

It would be great if a build for 1.30.4 would be generated for Bionic on the iconner PPA with the API fix merged
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

jsylvia007 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:01 am Given that Ubuntu 18.04 is the next LTS version of Ubuntu, and that 1.31 is "nowhere near ready for production use", what's the plan to support ZoneMinder 1.30.x on 18.04 long-term?

Is there a chance that someone will setup a PPA?

I'd offer some computing resources to it (I run a whole rack of servers in my house, and have the space to spare), but I haven't the slightest idea on how to do anything like that. I love ZM and all of it's functionality. I wrote the original install guides for Ubuntu on the Wiki almost 10 years ago, so I'd love to give back in another way now.
Actually there is a package for ZM 1.30.4 on Bionic. See the WIKI. It is for 64 bit OS (AMD64) only as that is what I decided to work on and most folks can run 64 BIT OS. If not stick with Ubuntu 16.04.