>>>> Feedback: Discontinuing support for Android less than 5.0 <<<<

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)

How does this affect you?

I don't care, discontinue it
80%
I use Android < 5.0 but I can easily upgrade, discontinue it
20%
I'm devastated. Please don't discontinue (please respond with reason for devastation)
No votes

Total votes: 5

asker

>>>> Feedback: Discontinuing support for Android less than 5.0 <<<<

Post by asker »

I am considering discontinuing support for Android versions less than 5.0
Reasons explained here.

Please post your feedback in this thread and vote in the poll.

Note: as much as this is a call for feedback, this is also a notice to get prepared to not receive updates for old Android versions < 5.0. I may not have a choice if a future update of zmNinja stops working with crosswalk.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
kennbr34

Re: >>>> Feedback: Discontinuing support for Android less than 5.0 <<<<

Post by kennbr34 »

Well I had a really long piece of feedback that the forum destroyed so feel free to ask any questions...

But basically I still have a couple 4.4 devices I have to use because I'm poor. One in particular will not work with anything besides zmninja, and has actually resulted in stopping a home invasion thanks to remote viewing. I use a couple of other ones to stay safe while I keep my doors open at night. I live in the bad part of town, in a desert, and can't afford AC.

Anyway I understand the extra hardship supporting such a small user base entails, but I also think there is more merit to it with this particular type of software since it's keeping people safe. It's not as if it's just one of the millions of apps just for entertainment.

Plus if you think about it, 4.4 users might be the very people who need surveillance to stay safe more than others. If all we can afford is an out of date phone, then chances are we can't afford a professionally monitored security system, or a home where we don't need it.

Kudos for being so considerate about it in general, but hopefully this shows there is merit to keeping support for 4.4 users going forward for as long as possible. It may be more work, but it's work that has significant ramifications.
asker

Post by asker »

Thanks for your response kennbr34 - fair enough. Good reasons. I'll keep uploading builds till the day that my builds no longer work.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
asker

Post by asker »

@kennbr34 if you read this, can you please send me an email? pliablepixels @ gmail. I need someone to test crosswalk builds for major revisions and I don't have devices that can test or simulators that test reliably.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
asker

Post by asker »

That day, unfortunately, has arrived. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27567

ES docs
zmNinja docs