ZM writes empty events folders to SMB share

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
melmak

ZM writes empty events folders to SMB share

Post by melmak »

Hello. I have zoneminder 1.30.4 runnin on virtual machine which has limited disc space (20 GB). Therefore, naturally i would like zoneminder to save events data on a separate drive (which is on the same windows server that hosts ubuntu vm + zm).
I followed this guide:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Using_a_ded ... Hard_Drive

windows share is mounted and accessible by zoneminder. But it creates only empty folders on the SMB share, not actual events are saved.
Has anyone experienced the same problem? What could cause that?
mikb

Re: ZM writes empty events folders to SMB share

Post by mikb »

What is the file system type on this "SMB Share" -- if it's FAT (DOS-Windows) based then it will not work, as it does not understand symbolic links as used by ZoneMinder -- you need a proper file system (ext2/3/4) that has all the Unixy features.

Also permission can be a pain on some SMB/FAT style shares, as there is only the vaguest notion of "readonly" and "system file", and not much about which user owns the file etc.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

You are better off using systemd to mount the share:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... ive_or_NAS

Once you get a "nix" based file system that is. Many NAS use a Linux file system that you can mount via SMB.
mikb

Post by mikb »

@bbunge it's not necessarily an actual NAS -- note the OP says "running in a virtual machine" and "save on a drive on the server ..." which could be the same machine, just outside the VM's little 20GB play-pen :)
melmak

Post by melmak »

mikb wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 pm What is the file system type on this "SMB Share" -- if it's FAT (DOS-Windows) based then it will not work, as it does not understand symbolic links as used by ZoneMinder -- you need a proper file system (ext2/3/4) that has all the Unixy features.

Also permission can be a pain on some SMB/FAT style shares, as there is only the vaguest notion of "readonly" and "system file", and not much about which user owns the file etc.
File system is NTFS
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Well NTFS will not work as storage.
mikb

Post by mikb »

Agreed. :(

Either there should be a massive warning on ZoneMinder's documentation: "Do not use half-baked file systems", or ZM should pro-actively test what kind of filesystem you are using and send you a clear message, saying "This is never going to work" :)
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

As stated in the forum for ZM 1.31.x it seems that NTFS may work. I have my test ZM PC set up with a USB2 NTFS external drive and the events are being saved to it. Had this running for four hours successfully. Wiped everything and started over with a fresh ZM install on Bionic LAMP with a freshly formatted NTFS drive. SO far it is working. Will let it get some time on it to see what happens.
Stay tuned...
bbunge

Post by bbunge »