Dynamic FPS when in Monitor mode

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
dmit

Dynamic FPS when in Monitor mode

Post by dmit »

I've recently found a good feature in one commercial VDR system. The idea is to automagically reduce FPS while in monitor mode and no motion is detected to save the network bandwidth. So when a motion is detected on a camera (either in montage view or in single cam mode), the FPS for the corresponding camera raises to its actual rate.

Is it difficult to realise in ZM?
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I'm not sure whether you mean capture FPS or streaming FPS, but if it's the first then in ZM you can set a low capture rate of say 3fps and tell ZM to just go to the max if motion is detected. I suspect you might mean the streaming FPS in which case this would not directly be affected. It's something I can have a look at though.

Phil
dmit

Post by dmit »

Yes, I mean exactly dropping FPS when there is no motion in streaming mode.

The standard behaviour is when the system is capturing motion at full FPS and is used in monitoring mode by operator at the same time. In this case the operator's console is located some_where_far_away from the server and there is just no need to allocate so much bandwidth for the same repeating frames. But when the motion is detected the streaming gets as max FPS as possible.

For me (and for many other people I think) this could be especially usefull, because I need to build a geographically distributed system with several ZM servers and central operator console.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I've added this to the 'look at adding as a feature' list :)

Phil