Cannot create new monitors

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
mbeauregard

Cannot create new monitors

Post by mbeauregard »

Running Zoneminder 1.30.2 on a Gentoo 4.12.12 distro (2x Xeon 5650 with 48GB ram).
Zoneminder has its own raid disk array, followed https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Using_a_ded ... Hard_Drive
Zoneminder was installed following https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZoneMinder
System has been up and running for a while now (at least 2 months) and have had no real issues with it, all services function as they should.
System also served a network file share on the same raid array (its checks for consistency are 100% clean)

Today I need to add a monitor and it dropped the ball...
When I add a monitor (currently Monitor-8), the log spits out:
2017-12-17 08:03:05.111159 zma_m8[4410].WAR-zm_event.cpp/277 [Can't connect to frame server: No such file or directory] over and over.

When creating a new monitor, the directories are created and has the exact same permissions and owner as the other 2 monitors which function correctly (1 and 2 in the events directory). No matter how many times I delete the monitor and recreate it, the same problem occurs, no such file or directory.
I checked the owner/permissions of the events folder, its apache:apache. :shock:

This is the result from ls -la of the events folders:
drwxr-xr-x 3 apache apache 4096 Oct 26 08:10 1 (Monitor 1 directory, it on RECORD with on 7 day loop filter)
drwxr-xr-x 3 apache apache 4096 Oct 26 08:48 2 (Monitor 2 directory, its on MODECT)
drwxr-xr-x 3 apache apache 4096 Dec 17 08:02 8 (Monitor 8 directory, its on RECORD, and doest work at all)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 apache apache 1 Oct 26 06:53 MID-DVR-HEWSAW-1 -> 1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 apache apache 1 Oct 26 08:12 MID-DVR-RECEIVING-1 -> 2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 apache apache 1 Dec 17 08:01 Monitor-8 -> 8

Once the error created, i must delete the monitor and restart zoneminder, if not the console keeps spewing errors.
Opening the Monitor does yield the cameras picture so I know the camera and zoneminder are communicating properly, or at least it seams.

I'm running out of ideas of what it can be... please help.

EDIT:
I tried adding another monitor with the same source as Monitor #1. I get the same problem, so its not a camera connection/resolution problem since the same settings are used and the above error reproduces itself.
Strange thing is it is creating some events...
bbunge

Re: Cannot create new monitors

Post by bbunge »

Sounds like a MySQL issue. Check Maximum number of connections. Run mysqltuner to see if you need to allocate more of other resources.
mbeauregard

Post by mbeauregard »

Thanks for the reply bbunge. Sorry it took a few days to try it since I was off-site from the server.
Ran mysqltuner and adjusted the recommended values. Sadly the issue still remains after a restart of the services.
I attached the current mysql config in case you want to take a peak at it.
Attachments
mysql_config.txt
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
mbeauregard

Post by mbeauregard »

In short the problem is now solved. Ended up with a fresh install of Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS and Zoneminder 1.30.4 on a VM from unRAID.
Can now add monitors to our desire.
No tweaking required, it just worked... maybe a problem when using a Gentoo Install?
snake

Post by snake »

Installing on Gentoo is less documented and done than others. Newcomers are advised to follow the install guides on the wiki for Ubuntu or Debian.

All settings for the monitors can be read in mysql.

Code: Select all

# mysql -u root -p 
use zm;
select * from Monitors\G
As a sidenote: I've had problems making new monitors but it turned out my browser was incompatible with the JS. A different browser solved the issue.