wansview pro hd 720p ip wifi camera tested?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
whitemw

wansview pro hd 720p ip wifi camera tested?

Post by whitemw »

Greetings,

I'm working a plan to put a video camera on my corral to view my donkeys when away.

I am putting this project on my Intel Pentium 3.20GHz Ubuntu 16.04 backup server using ZoneMinder's latest release at the time I get the project started, soon I hope.

I've been looking for a camera to use, it needs to be outside IP WiFi, I have power at the mount point. I really don't need high resolution for my use but it might be nice to post sometime. Not wanting long sequences, heck still frames are all I really need with a time stamp. I do want night shots since I'm going to monitor the feeder and shed for habits and sitter timeliness.

I have been looking at the wansview pro hd 720p IP WiFi camera, it is under $40 which would be nice. I found this because others have used the wansview k1 camera but I live in Colorado and have to deal with Snow, Hail and Wind and the Pro HD is heaver duty.

I looked at the Hardware Wiki and did not find any wansview cameras listed so it may not be up to-date.

Any constructive information about this camera or other interesting options would be appreciated.

A note about WiFi distance: the camera will be about 20-30ft from my home Wifi router running Gargoyle custom firmware and I can use a wireless bridge with a 3mi range as a hotspot if needed so distance will not be a problem.

Last note I am willing to spend more for a camera if warranted and I might upgrade after I get this thing running and see what the possibilities are. I'd like to start simple and enhance later if I desire to.

Thanks in advance for you comments
whitemw

Re: wansview pro hd 720p ip wifi camera tested?

Post by whitemw »

Due to lack of posts I selected the following camera after researching cameras on the hardware list.

Amcrest IP2M-852 (Black)

Its more camera than I was looking for but in my eyes compatible was more important. The exact compatible number was IP2M-842 but could not find that number so probably a newer model and will be OK. Looks like a good camera, excited to give it a try