beta testing new feature: 24 hour preview

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
asker

beta testing new feature: 24 hour preview

Post by asker »

Updated Jan 12, 2018: This feature has been released as of version 1.2.515. You can download from the regular channels.

NOTE: You need to update your API to access this feature. See below.

Hi folks, I am beta testing a new feature for a "24 hour preview". I'd like to open up the test to more users at this stage (Desktop only for now). The entire goal of this feature is to be able to quickly preview how a day went and get to events of interest without having to page though gobs of events in a list. Please read more about the concept [HERE]. I think this is a much more useful approach than the Event Montage approach, at least in my mind.

NOTE: This feature needs an API upgrade. and you need to be running a minimum of 1.30.4. To upgrade the API, Simply replace your EventsController.php (typically in /usr/share/zoneminder/www/api/app/Controller) with this one.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
liamo

Re: beta testing new feature: 24 hour preview

Post by liamo »

Hi Asker!
Loving the Beta desktop app, the 24 hour preview really helps!

I was wondering however have the beta builds been removed from your google drive, all i see up there now is an android beta, with no desktop versions.
I've previously downloaded the 64-bit version, and was hoping to run it on an old windows tablet i have sitting gathering dust, but it's 32-bit only.

Anyway, thanks for your creation! I've supported you by purchasing the Android version (Also very cool :))
Many thanks,
Liamo.
asker

Post by asker »

Hi Liamo,
sorry - forgot about the builds! I just made a release today
https://github.com/pliablepixels/zmNinj ... g/v1.2.515
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Just upgraded the IOS app and got this new feature. Got the API warning and a quick Google brought me here.

The features work perfectly and is very helpful. I'd probably call it a 24 hour review as it doesn't include a time machine.
-
asker

Post by asker »

Magic919 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:53 am Just upgraded the IOS app and got this new feature. Got the API warning and a quick Google brought me here.

The features work perfectly and is very helpful. I'd probably call it a 24 hour review as it doesn't include a time machine.
You are absolutely right. Review is the right word. I’ll change it. Glad you like it. This feature has become my default go to screen.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Hey asker, I think I have everything working right, but some strange stuff happened.

ZM: 1.30.4 (from ubunting repo)
Zmninja 1.3.013

After replacing my EventsController.php with the one linked to above I could view the 24hr review (as well as thumbnails in the event list, sweet!) but when I clicked on events to view they said "error retrieving frame details". This is all I could find in the logs in zoneminder. But I don't think it makes much sense, as everything on the Web view worked as it should.

Code: Select all

Socket /var/run/zm/zms-433545s.sock does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/faq.html#why-can-t-i-see-streamed-images-when-i-can-see-stills-in-the-zone-window-etc for more information.
So I went to git hub and downloaded the 1.30.4 branch's version of EventController.php to revert, and then when I tried it, the 24hr review worked and so did viewing events despite it being the 1.30.4 branch API. I guess you must download the EventController.php for your specific branch? But so far most things are working, except despite it working, zmninja still says I need an API upgrade at the top in a purple bar.

Also I can no longer swipe left on the thumbnail to open the alarmed frame? But when I tried this at first, I wasn’t using an updated zmninja, so not sure if that's supposed to be. I notice now that if I flick it, it opens up a screen with a few frames and the option to play.

So far I think it's a little bit laggy, but my tablet is also somewhat underpowered. Maybe adding the ability to set the events limit to something smallet that 400 in developer settings? I have just been collapsing enough monitors to make it run smoother, or disabling some entirely.

Pretty cool so far, I have been meaning to try it for a while, but didn't know how to update the API. Thanks!
asker

Post by asker »

ZM: 1.30.4 (from ubunting repo)
Zmninja 1.3.013
After replacing my EventsController.php with the one linked to above I could view the 24hr review (as well as thumbnails in the event list, sweet!) but when I clicked on events to view they said "error retrieving frame details". This is all I could find in the logs in zoneminder. But I don't think it makes much sense, as everything on the Web view worked as it should.
My apologies. I linked to a version that has since been changed a lot to a point where it won't work with 1.30.4. I should have linked to a specific commit, which I did in my FAQ entry, but forgot to modify the link in the forum. I've corrected it. (The correct version is this file)

So I went to git hub and downloaded the 1.30.4 branch's version of EventController.php to revert, and then when I tried it, the 24hr review worked and so did viewing events despite it being the 1.30.4 branch API. I guess you must download the EventController.php for your specific branch? But so far most things are working, except despite it working, zmninja still says I need an API upgrade at the top in a purple bar.
My guess is if you replace the file with the correct one that I pointed to above, you should not see this message. Also note that its not strictly necessary. All the updated file does is it shows you, for each event, the frame with the highest score (the update added an API for that). If its not there, it will still show the review screen but with the first frame of each event. So it still works, but will show you that purple message.

Also I can no longer swipe left on the thumbnail to open the alarmed frame? But when I tried this at first, I wasn’t using an updated zmninja, so not sure if that's supposed to be. I notice now that if I flick it, it opens up a screen with a few frames and the option to play.
Not sure what you mean. Swipe from which screen? Now,if you tap on an event from the 24 hr review or events screen, you are presented with the event with a list of alarmed frames on top

So far I think it's a little bit laggy, but my tablet is also somewhat underpowered. Maybe adding the ability to set the events limit to something smallet that 400 in developer settings? I have just been collapsing enough monitors to make it run smoother, or disabling some entirely.
Correct, it is laggy on mobile phones. I'll look into adding an option for limiting # of images.

Thanks!

ES docs
zmNinja docs