any plans for video storage in, say, the next year?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
TheKorn

any plans for video storage in, say, the next year?

Post by TheKorn »

Very happy to have zoneminder, but at this point I'm really feeling the pain of zoneminder's split-everything-into-jpegs architecture. Despite throwing a decent amount of hardware at it (raid1 SSDs, 32GB ram, pretty beefy CPU), just due to running a decent number of high def cameras at a reasonable frame rate (15 fps), I'm at the end of the road of what I can do with zoneminder. I can't expand to any more cameras without bringing the house of cards crashing down at this point. While I could expand laterally, that seems like a poor use of resources.

I've been patiently waiting for zm to include full video support for what seems like ages. Don't get me wrong, *very* thankful for having zoneminder get me as far as it has. But I guess the question is, is zoneminder *ever* going to have support for capturing and storing video as video? I only ask because I'm pretty much at a crossroads here; if it's (at long last) ready to go then I can stick with zoneminder. If it's still 6 months to a year and a half (or more) away, I just need to move away from ZM.

So what's the roadmap? What's the plan? Is there a plan or a roadmap?

(And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! ZM is amazing free software! I'm just close to flying the ship apart at this point, and while I can keep it together for a few more months, if nothing is just over the horizon I'd rather spend the time migrating to something else.)

Thanks in advance!
iconnor

Re: any plans for video storage in, say, the next year?

Post by iconnor »

It has been merged to master. ubuntu packages have been available from my branch for ages. Try it out.
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

Ah, cool. Guess that's a reason to upgrade off of 1.28.5. Kept sporadically reading the release notes but didn't see any mention of it so figured it never happened. I'll give it a whirl, thanks.
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

Does that mean it's *in* the 1.30 release, iconnor?
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

iconnor wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:33 pm It has been merged to master. ubuntu packages have been available from my branch for ages. Try it out.
Well, I went and set up a brand-new instance of zoneminder in a vm (ubuntu 16.04LTS), and pulled in your package of v.1.30.4. Unless I'm missing it, I'm seeing absolutely nothing different from 1.28.5 as far as storing videos goes. Zoneminder is still pulling in h264, splitting everything into jpegs, and storing jpegs in the filesystem as it always has. Am I missing an entire tab on the options menu? Because it seems to me that switching form jpeg splintering to video would be a huuuuuuuge change, one that would involve a lot of options.

(The new install of ZM is working, mind you, it just seems to be working exactly the same way as it always has. Which is function but not great for cameras made in the last six years.)

So am I missing something? Apologies if so; feel free to point out where the magic "SAVE EVERYTHING AS NATIVE VIDEO" checkbox is.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

the video stuff is in 1.31.1.

You must use my ppa for nightly builds.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-master
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

iconnor wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:45 pm the video stuff is in 1.31.1.
Ah HA! That would certainly explain why I can't find it in 1.30.4. :D I'll give it a try. (Why not? It's a test zm install anyway!)
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

I'm not quite in his straits, but I am curious if there's a planned release date for 31.1 yet. :-)

Thanks for running the PPA, BTW, iconnor; it made my recent install much easier.