ZoneMinder linux/windows/mac/*nix client Qt Viewer

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
timgman

Post by timgman »

Any updates to this?
haus

Post by haus »

Leandro, this is a really nice viewer! I had just been using FF on my desktop to view streams, but it just hogs memory forever until FF eventually crashes (a known issue, I know). This is a much more elegant solution and I like the fact that it's a standalone EXE.

Just a note to anyone who uses this viewer on Windows to view a remote ZM box: I had to go into mysql on my ubuntu ZM box and set the listening IP from 127.0.0.1 to "all" so that mysql would accept connections on the network interface. Otherwise it will only act as a server for things running on the ZM box itself, and zmviewer won't be able to connect. That and of course punching the requisite hole in the firewall for mysql.

Now my questions.

1. zmviewer.exe is using ~15% of my CPU when viewing 9 cams according to task manager. Is there any way to reduce that system load, perhaps by limiting the update speed? I've set it to 4 cams for now and it drops to 6-10%, which is better, but it would be great to have 9 cams with a CPU load under 10%. I haven't tried reducing the jpg quality within ZM for the live stream; I suspect that would help too.

2. Is there a way to choose bilinear filtering by default? It looks so much better with reduced-size images, but I have to manually select it for each monitor every time I refresh.

3. Any time I choose a different view, most of my monitors say "stopped by server". Is there a setting I can change on the server to prevent this, or perhaps have zmviewer auto-refresh all cameras every time the view is changed?
lopezlean

Post by lopezlean »

haus wrote:Leandro, this is a really nice viewer! I had just been using FF on my desktop to view streams, but it just hogs memory forever until FF eventually crashes (a known issue, I know). This is a much more elegant solution and I like the fact that it's a standalone EXE.

Just a note to anyone who uses this viewer on Windows to view a remote ZM box: I had to go into mysql on my ubuntu ZM box and set the listening IP from 127.0.0.1 to "all" so that mysql would accept connections on the network interface. Otherwise it will only act as a server for things running on the ZM box itself, and zmviewer won't be able to connect. That and of course punching the requisite hole in the firewall for mysql.

Now my questions.

1. zmviewer.exe is using ~15% of my CPU when viewing 9 cams according to task manager. Is there any way to reduce that system load, perhaps by limiting the update speed? I've set it to 4 cams for now and it drops to 6-10%, which is better, but it would be great to have 9 cams with a CPU load under 10%. I haven't tried reducing the jpg quality within ZM for the live stream; I suspect that would help too.

2. Is there a way to choose bilinear filtering by default? It looks so much better with reduced-size images, but I have to manually select it for each monitor every time I refresh.

3. Any time I choose a different view, most of my monitors say "stopped by server". Is there a setting I can change on the server to prevent this, or perhaps have zmviewer auto-refresh all cameras every time the view is changed?
Hello, first of all sorry for the delay in response.
@timgman, this week I've been doing some test of zmviewer on Symbian with good results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq2c7PYfPy8
I am also thinking about adding the ability to connect with zoneminder through webservices
@haus:
Thanks for comments
1 - I think that the problem of the cpu load is largely determined by the class QMultipartReader class of zmviewer and by resizing images, I've noticed but I don't think that is a very serious problem. I'm not expert in this area
2 - Enable bilinear filtering increases the cpu load and that is why it's not by default. Maybe an option in general settings would be nice. What do you think?
3 - You're right, auto-refresh is needed when cameras lost the connection
Leandro Emanuel López
haus

Post by haus »

On the CPU load, bilinear filtering makes a relatively small difference overall (observed load with 4 cams was 5-9% without, and 7-11% with it turned on for all 4 cams).

If you're in the mood to experiment...just a few ideas:

1. Option to throttle update speed. It appears to update in realtime, which is nice, but what if we updated at some user-settable interval, like every 500ms (twice a second would be enough for me - others might want it faster). My cams only run 3fps anyway. My suspicion is that this would lower CPU load, but I don't know for sure.

2. Definitely a global option for bilinear filtering would be great, based on my observation above. It makes a huge difference in viewability.

3. Auto-refresh on window resize or change of view would also be great!

This is a really nice viewer, impressive work. It is really better than using a browser interface in my opinion, though I haven't yet performed the patches in this thread that enable event viewing...I don't know how to implement those.
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Do you have non-debian version (rpm?) available, or source code? I only saw download links for the .deb and windows ver.

Also...I checked out the windows ver, and it seems to ask for the database login? Is this app only meant to run on the Zm server itself and not remote?
haus

Post by haus »

It runs great on a remote windows machine; I had to create a new username and password for it to access mysql.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I have put up a package for the svn version 211 for Arch Linux / ZMLarch

You can get the package here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/archlinux/i686/

Screenshot here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/ ... iewer1.png

Very nice app Leandro! I haven't kept up with your work on it.
I will be including it in the next version of ZMLarch for sure.
lopezlean

Post by lopezlean »

rdmelin wrote:I have put up a package for the svn version 211 for Arch Linux / ZMLarch

You can get the package here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/archlinux/i686/

Screenshot here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/ ... iewer1.png

Very nice app Leandro! I haven't kept up with your work on it.
I will be including it in the next version of ZMLarch for sure.
Thanks for comments and the package

@Blazer: last source code is available here: http://zmviewer.svn.sourceforge.net/vie ... z?view=tar
Leandro Emanuel López
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

So it only works if it can login to the mysql db? Sadly this wont work for me since my Zm server is remote and not on my local network.
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

Is there a way to save a session? so i do not have to enter the usernames and passwords all the time. a conf file or something?
haus

Post by haus »

@blazer: why not? If you have a static IP you can specify one host that can access the database remotely (userID@host), I do this to administer mysql databases all the time. It's a pain when your home ISP changes your IP address, but in my case that only happens maybe once a year or so.

@c0mputerking: my session is always saved, even across reboots. I only use one session, though, maybe you are connecting to more zm servers? When does your session disappear?
execcr

Post by execcr »

hi, i have a problem compiling under mac osx leopard

The program start, but i cant select any OBDC driver from the list becouse i get an error (cannot find driver) with any driver i select!

some advice?
lopezlean

Post by lopezlean »

execcr wrote:hi, i have a problem compiling under mac osx leopard

The program start, but i cant select any OBDC driver from the list becouse i get an error (cannot find driver) with any driver i select!

some advice?
Hello

You need mysql driver. See how to build it here: http://doc.qtsoftware.com/4.5/sql-drive ... d-mac-os-x
Leandro Emanuel López
trendkill

Post by trendkill »

Hi guys,

i have a problem with zmviewer 0.2.
I use ubuntu server 9.10 and zoneminder 1.24.2. Everything is working via web, except the zmviewer client.
It says (windows host): Database connection error: Host '192.168.0.75' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server (10061).
I changed the bind-address to a real local IP in my.cnf, but the problem is the same. I want to allow the connections from all.
I hope you know.

regards,
Gabor
trendkill

Post by trendkill »

solved, mysql_setpermission did it! :)

trendkill wrote:Hi guys,

i have a problem with zmviewer 0.2.
I use ubuntu server 9.10 and zoneminder 1.24.2. Everything is working via web, except the zmviewer client.
It says (windows host): Database connection error: Host '192.168.0.75' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server (10061).
I changed the bind-address to a real local IP in my.cnf, but the problem is the same. I want to allow the connections from all.
I hope you know.

regards,
Gabor