LDAP User Authentication

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
Solar

LDAP User Authentication

Post by Solar »

Hi,

I searched around a bit on the forums, but couldn't come across anyone that played with using ZoneMinder to authenticate agains a LDAP server. I know it is possible to instead setup Apache to only allow authenticated users access to a specific resource (and thereby implimenting LDAP functionality from that side), but I decided to encorporate the LDAP support directly into ZoneMinder.

I wrote a set of php functions that use PHP_LDAP, and only changed half-a-line in the original ZM source to make this work. It firstly checks if the user exists in the local ZM db, and then goes on to find the users CN (by just using the username in the ZM db). If this is successful, it tries to bind to LDAP using the password supplied. It seems to be working great.

We are using ZoneMinder at the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa at the Electronical Engineering department. The authentication is now done against the university Windows 2003 ldap machines.

I also integrated the access control logs of the doors (stored centrally in PostgreSQL) with the events in ZM, and users of ZM can click on the hyperlinked student numbers to get access to the student's details (photo, name, academic details) from another university server with a Postgres Server.

If someone is interested in the LDAP extensions I can post it for download.

Regards,
Christiaan[/img]
Jancis

neat!

Post by Jancis »

this could be pretty usefull ;) Altrought i was planning to use external autorization for ZM and then use Apache`s LDAP module to authorize against LDAP server at our University :)

Anyway - good job!
jaredfarheap

LDAP Module

Post by jaredfarheap »

Is this working currently, and if so, could you post it some where so I can use it / modify it to work with our zoneminder implementation?
gustavoms

Re: LDAP User Authentication

Post by gustavoms »

Could you please post the code ?