A New Desktop Application For Zoneminder

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
johnsonsuresh

A New Desktop Application For Zoneminder

Post by johnsonsuresh »

Hi All,

Some people don't like to see their cameras via browsers when they are at their homes. But it is possible to them to see their camera while they are at remote locations. So that, for local access, I am planning to develop a desktop application using Glade. This application going to use the same zoneminder daemons,database etc., The Idea is, users can have the same UI experience while they are using this Desktop application. Also I am planning to add some more addtiontional functionalities to the users such as controlling cameras via SMS, and GPIO divices support , etc.

I want more valuable ideas and clarifications from zoneminder experts and developers.

Currently, zms daemon is responsible for sending images to the browsers. Well, but, What I want is, As I am going to access the camera via my local destop application, I don't need zms to get image buffer using sockets. Is there any other way to get the captured image buffer?
I think the zms is writing the image buffers into the STDOUT for appache server responses.

Please let me know how to get the captured image buffer which are captured by the zmc daemon. Once I get clear idea about this concept, I can move forward on developing this application.

Thanks in advance.
-Johnson
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

If you are planning on running this application on the same hardware as ZM then by far the easiest way to get access to live images is to connect to the shared memory ring buffer. That way the images are already in your memory space and you can just watch the write index to see when you need to load a new image.

Phil
johnsonsuresh

Sample needed for getting live image buffer.

Post by johnsonsuresh »

Phil,

Thanks for you reply. With your and all of others help, I am sure, I will develop a good UI for zoneminder. If you don't mind, Can you please give me a sample of code drop that can get live image buffer? There is no need to write detail coding. Just a simple sample will be good enough. It will be more help full for my further implementations.

Thanks in advance.
-Johnson
dmit

Post by dmit »

Some suggestions:

a) an OSD interface to control ZM with a small built in keypad (i.e. hardware-like DVR interface);

b) ability to control/watch several remote ZM servers at once (like that contributed prototype Windows frontend posted to forum some time ago)
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

this sounds great, any help i can give (non coding unless its vba) im yours. i work for a cctv company so if you want interface suggestions, additional features etc i can come up with a list. I assume your talking about a linux front end for the host machine? and not a windows interface.

James
dmit

Post by dmit »

Yes, exactly.

I was a bit surprised not to find it present already, it looks like Phil's PHP interface is too good for most people to do anything else. :)
fernando

Post by fernando »

well many of the functions that are today came from sugestions.
iam follow this project from 0.9.xx versions.

was a mail listi remember and have all the log. iam one of the people that insist in a forum.

zm is made very well. maybe still cant compete with a high end suveillance system but its growing fast.
Fernando