On git(hub), 1.26, features, bugs, etc.

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
kylejohnson

On git(hub), 1.26, features, bugs, etc.

Post by kylejohnson »

Hey everyone. I haven't been able to get admin access to the forum yet, so this is the best place that I can think of to post this long-overdue topic.

A couple months back, I reached out to Phil regarding the state of ZoneMinder. Phil gave me the greenlight to 'take over' the 'management side' of ZoneMinder, as he hasn't time to work on it currently. This conversation came in response to a number of us in #zoneminder longing for a new release. Phil gave me write access to the SVN repo and administrative access to the zoneminder.com site.

My first goal is to make ZoneMinder more open. I did this by moving the codebase over to github, selecting a development and branching model, and providing an area where issues, bugs and features can be openly documented and tracked. I also released a news announcement on the main site which summed up my changes. That can be found at http://www.zoneminder.com/content/zonem ... 6-underway

So why does this matter? What are we doing?
  • Working out of git, on github.
  • Ironing out a proper development and branching model. One has been selected (see above), now it just needs to be followed.
  • Working on a 1.26 bug-fix release.
  • Working on incorporating mastertheknife's and nextime's patches into the official repo, so that we can release them.
  • Working on a rewriting the web interface. This has been my baby, and much progress has been made. Code is being tracked in the modern branch at https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/commits/modern. Feel free to review and contribute! Clone the branch, make changes and submit a pull request! If you know CakePHP, you can help!
What do I need? YOUR HELP!! Clone the repo, submit features (in their own branch, branched from develop), submit bug fixes (in the develop branch), help with the new web frontend (in the modern branch), stop by #zoneminder on freenode.net to chat / discuss. ANYTHING!

Please feel free to post questions and feedback here.

Thanks!
Kyle
Idling as gnulnx in #zoneminder on freenode. Come say hi!
DigitalDeviant

Re: On git(hub), 1.26, features, bugs, etc.

Post by DigitalDeviant »

First off - thank you Kyle, it's good to see someone actively trying to develop this project.

OK, so I had a little problem and my previous install (from here) db got nuked. So while I was looking into it I saw your thread and figured I'd give it a shot. I GIT cloned the repo and built and installed the same as I had my previous install. It's running on CentOS 6.2.

Code: Select all

./configure --with-webdir=/var/www/html/zm --with-cgidir=/var/www/cgi-bin --with-webuser=apache --with-webgroup=apache ZM_DB_HOST=localhost ZM_DB_NAME=zm ZM_DB_USER=zmuser ZM_DB_PASS=****** ZM_SSL_LIB=openssl  --with-extralibs="-L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/lib64/mysql" --with-ffmpeg=/usr/share/ffmpeg  CXXFLAGS="-D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS" --enable-mmap=no
Everything went smoothly. However, the service fails to start and I get the following errors in the log.

2013-07-24 10:24:17.116210 zmpkg 20398 ERR Unable to run "sudo -u apache /usr/local/bin/zmfix", output is "" zmpkg.pl
2013-07-24 10:24:17.112286 undef 20418 ERR Attempt to fetch boolean value for ZM_MAX_SUSPEND_TIME, actual type is integer. Try running 'zmupdate.pl -f' to reload config. zm_config.cpp 171
MJN

Post by MJN »

I have little to add (at this stage) however I would like to thank you Kyle for saving Zoneminder. I've been using it for many many years now and was very disappointed to see it fall by the wayside. Were it not for the lack of adequate alternatives (for ym needs) I would've dropped it long ago and so I am particularly pleased to see you, and whoever else can assist, help it live on.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

OK, stupid off-topic github question... how do I assign labels to an issue? Or is that reserved for an admin?
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
caterpillar

Post by caterpillar »

Yay!

I am looking into ZoneMinder for the first time, and I am glad to see it is not dead. This makes all the difference in whether or not I use it.

I think if you got some more publicity, people would be willing to help. Get a twitter, get on some blogs, etc. There are a lot of people that are willing to help, but they don't know about it. I would help if I knew more. I could update zoneminder . com to something prettier!
Segfault

Post by Segfault »

I'm very pleased this great project is alive again. Thank you. :)
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

It is brilliant that this is active again and that the 1.26 version is out,.