ZoneMinder Client Firefox Extension

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
kevin186

ZoneMinder Client Firefox Extension

Post by kevin186 »

Hi. I made a firefox extension a couple of years ago but never got around to releasing it until now. If anybody is interested, it will be available at the mozilla addons site under the name "ZoneMinder Client." It is currently not search-able at the mozilla site because it is still awaiting its preliminary review. And because this is my first post, I am unable to post a direct link to it.

But if you are still reading this, I will give a few details about it. It contains a toolbar with some buttons for common commands such as opening the console and montage, logging in and out, changing bandwidth, and remembering the scale for the montage page. It can also automatically toggle firefox's internal settings for caching and network connections. For example, if you visit your zoneminder site, then the extension will disable the cache and increase network connections. When you close the last tab containing a url to your zoneminder server, it will then toggle the settings back to their defaults for regular web surfing.

Google search terms to find it:

Code: Select all

dvr security zoneminder client
nightcrawler

Re: ZoneMinder Client Firefox Extension

Post by nightcrawler »

Hey Kevin,

I've installed your plugin and it works great at firefox 7! And the auto switch of bandwidth is an nice feature!
Just handy short cut buttons. I've got one suggestion, Is it possible to make the button bar floating? so it can be placed next to other Firefox buttons?

Keep up the good work!
Zoneminder @Ubuntu 11 server, ZM 1.25.0 , FFMPEG, 4 Analoge cameras, 1.6ghz P4mobile, 2GB ram, 60GB-HDD.
I also have an (homeseer) domotica system up-and-running with touchscreens,light controllers,weather forecast etc.
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Hi,

Good job!. Really easy to setup. Nice add-in for the firefox browser.

Thanks,

PacoLM

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
kevin186

Post by kevin186 »

PacoLM wrote:Hi,

Good job!. Really easy to setup. Nice add-in for the firefox browser.

Thanks,

PacoLM
@PacoLM. Thanks. I am happy that you like it.
nightcrawler wrote:Hey Kevin,

I've installed your plugin and it works great at firefox 7! And the auto switch of bandwidth is an nice feature!
Just handy short cut buttons. I've got one suggestion, Is it possible to make the button bar floating? so it can be placed next to other Firefox buttons?

Keep up the good work!
@nightcrawler. Making the toolbar customizable is on my "to do" list. But the only problem is that I do not have icons yet for the toolbar buttons. This means that if it is customizable and you select "icon" mode in firefox's toolbar settings, then the buttons will appear blank. I hope to have this fixed soon.
kevin186

Post by kevin186 »

I just released ZoneMinder Client version 0.2.0.

Changes since Version 0.1.0:
  • It is compatible with SeaMonkey.
    The toolbar is customizable.
    The toolbar has new toolbarbuttons.
    The toolbarbuttons have icons.
    The "cameras" toolbarbutton is editable.
    The password is stored securely.
    The debugging feature was removed.
It is available for download at the Firefox add-on website.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zoneminder-client/versions/?page=1#version-0.2.0
kevin186

Post by kevin186 »

I just released ZoneMinder Client version 0.3.0.

Changes since Version 0.2.0:
  • It is NOT compatible with SeaMonkey.
    The Sidebar Montage has been added. (CTRL + ALT + Z)
    The Monitor WatchDog has been added. (find it under the “Cameras” button)
    The Cameras toolbarbutton has been reorganized.
    Groups of Monitors can be imported in the Prefwindow. (CTRL + SHIFT + Z)
The 1st major feature added is the Sidebar Montage. The Sidebar Montage allows you to load a group of monitors into the sidebar. This is similar to the regular montage, with some extras: You can easily launch it by pressing CTRL + ALT + Z. You can switch between multiple groups with the press of a button. Right click on a monitor to access the alarms menu. You have control over the fps ranging between 1-30fps. You can adjust the scale to a lower setting if you are trying to save bandwidth. Since the monitors are loading in the sidebar, you can keep an eye on them while visiting other websites at the same time. It only uses as much space as necessary, never exceeding the maxWidth of the sidebar or upscaling a monitor feed. And you can easily close it by once again pressing CTRL + ALT + Z or pressing the X.

How to use the Sidebar Montage:
  • Go to the Prefwindow via Tools → ZoneMinder Client → Cameras.
    Add or import your Groups of Monitors.
    Save the settings and exit the Prefwindow.
    Open the sidebar via View → Sidebars → ZoneMinder Client (CTRL + ALT + Z).
    If your are not logged in, press the “Log In” button.
    Select your Group of Monitors from the menu button.
    Adjust the Frame Rate as needed (1fps – 30fps).
    Adjust the Scale as needed (5% – 100%).
The 2nd major feature added is the Monitor WatchDog. The Monitor WatchDog constantly watches the status of your monitors and notifies you if one is in alarm status. It works by sending requests at regular intervals and reading the responses from the server. This is a bandwidth saver for sure since you can have the WatchDog keep track of monitors in alarm status instead of keeping the video feeds open.

How to use the Monitor WatchDog:
  • Go to the Prefwindow via Tools → ZoneMinder Client → Cameras.
    Add or import your Groups of Monitors.
    Go to the Prefwindow via Tools → ZoneMinder Client → WatchDog.
    Check the box if you want the WatchDog to start when you open Firefox.
    Adjust how often you want to check for alarm status of each monitor(10s – 60s).
    Save the settings and exit the Prefwindow.
    Select a Group of Monitors via Cameras → Monitor WatchDog.
    If an alarm is detected, you will be notified using Firefox’s nsIAlertsService.
    Not all operating systems are compatible with Firefox’s nsIAlertsService.
    Mac users may need to install Growl for compatibility.
Download it @ ZoneMinder Client v0.3.0.