New Icon for Zone Minder?

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.

Would a new icon be valuable for Zone Minder?

Yes.
67%
No.
22%
Maybe.
11%

Total votes: 9

Proteus

New Icon for Zone Minder?

Post by Proteus »

Hey guys,

First topic post! Just registered today. I'm not an art major or anything, but I do art in my spare time so I was curious, would there be any interest to design a new icon for Zone Minder?

I have only limited training in coding (from high school i.e. C++ & Visual Basic) so I can't contribute that way yet.... And I'm in college so I'm quite poor. But, I am interested in helping!

I've been doodling, but wasn't sure if there would be interest? The ZM icon is looking a bit dated (no insult implied) so maybe it might help generate more interest in the project if it looked "new" and "fresh"?

Regards,
Proteus
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

I would say just do it see if the dev likes it. I know he said himself that he is no designer. Also it helps if you make it easy meaning like a diff or simply making the file names the same so they can be replaced. Also dont expect it to be changed quickly the dev has been busy. (but still adds patches to svn)
Pada

Post by Pada »

I have to agree that it would be awesome for the logo and whole website to have its looks revamped, however there are much more pressing concerns than a simple logo change :)

I'm really grateful that ZoneMinder has a support forum, unlike OpenSSL and FFmpeg, where they only have stupid mailing lists.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

I did make some a while back but it was mainly a attempt to learn to make text shiny http://www.box.net/shared/162iftkt23
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

Ok. Thanks guys. I'll draw up a few ideas, see if any of them take (devs, etc, like them), and if they do, maybe move ahead from there.
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

Really like the classic btw kingofkya! Interesting...