Debian/Ubuntu package for 1.24

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
PeterHoward

Debian/Ubuntu package for 1.24

Post by PeterHoward »

Hi guys.

Yes, I do still exist, and after some "disatractions" I'm now turning my attention back to getting a formal package out for 1.24. There are a few issues in building it, but I should have a "try it and tell me how it blows up for you" package available by the weekend. :)

PJH
lrichil

Post by lrichil »

Thanks, itll be great, looking forward to it
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Welcome Back, Dude! I was beginning to think your were spending too much time with that Alpaca! :wink:
PeterHoward

Debian is up

Post by PeterHoward »

The packages for Debian unstable are up:

ftp://ftp.northern-ridge.com.au/zonemin ... ebian/sid/

Note there is a 32-bit and 64-bit package there. My total testing so-far includes installing the 32-bit package on a virtual machine and confirming it installs and you can get to the web interface :) Hopefully ffmpeg issues are no worse than for 1.23.3.

Ubuntu packages should be up "real soon now" - I've got to get a set of 32 and 64 bit environments ready for building.

PJH
PeterHoward

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend upgrading

Post by PeterHoward »

I have not tested upgrading from an existing 1.23.3 install yet . . . so you have been warned.
PeterHoward

Ubuntu Jaunty

Post by PeterHoward »

Packages for ubuntu jaunty are in

ftp://ftp.northern-ridge.com.au/zonemin ... ntu/jaunty

Same warning as for the Debian packages.

Packages for earlier versions for Ubuntu will take a touch longer due to ffmpeg versions . . .
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I was going to take a stab at this .deb package for lenny but can't resolve northern-ridge.com.au

Alternatives?

Working now.....
deunan

Post by deunan »

Hello everyone..

I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04..

I followed the instructions from here - http://www.howtoforge.com/video_surveil ... der_ubuntu

Basically all are followed faithfully until I reached the wget package line which I instead used -

Code: Select all

wget ftp://www.northern-ridge.com.au/zoneminder/1.24/ubuntu/9.04/zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_i386.deb
After that, the command "dpkg -i zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_i386.deb" results as output below -

# dpkg -i zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package zoneminder.
(Reading database ... 108178 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking zoneminder (from zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up zoneminder (1.24.1-pre-1) ...
Upgrading from version 1.24.1-pre-1 to 1.23.2
DBI connect('database=zm;host=localhost','zmuser',...) failed: Unknown database 'zm' at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 89
Can't call method "prepare_cached" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 91.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 100.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/zmupdate.pl line 49.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/zmupdate.pl line 49.
dpkg: error processing zoneminder (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 zoneminder
I was looking for a sure-fire hassle-free installation but ran into a snag.. Please help point me the right direction, thank you..
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Just finished the .deb package install on lenny.

Added to /etc/apt/sources.list :

deb http://ftp.be.debian.org/debian/ unstable main

Did an apt-update

dpkg -i /usr/local/src/zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_i386.deb

After the original lenny setup - see:

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13290

I only have grey scale right now BUT I'm new to 1.24 and some tweaking is in order.

Took a little massage to get libavcodec52 installedafter futzing with adding/removing

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

in /etc/apt/sources.list

Wish I could be a bit more precise, didn't really keep track of exact details but it wasn't too painful.

I won't touch Ubuntu w/a 10ft cattleprod. I want all the stability I can get my hands on.
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

I won't touch Ubuntu w/a 10ft cattleprod. I want all the stability I can get my hands on.
I love Debian to death, but with big names like DELL and HP putting Ubuntu on desktops right out of the factory, it makes me question your stability statement. Of course most of my work runs on Proxmox, debian based, and it's about as stable as you can get.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Dell, HP, won't touch them w/a 20 ft cattleprod!
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

deunan wrote:Hello everyone..

I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04..

I followed the instructions from here - http://www.howtoforge.com/video_surveil ... der_ubuntu
Dumb question - you did put "jaunty" in sources.list? :)
Basically all are followed faithfully until I reached the wget package line which I instead used -

wget ftp://www.northern-ridge.com.au/zoneminder/1.24/ubuntu/9.04/zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_i386.deb
After that, the command "dpkg -i zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_i386.deb" results as output below -

# dpkg -i zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 108178 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking zoneminder (from zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_i386.deb) ...
Upgrading from version 1.24.1-pre-1 to 1.23.2
DBI connect('database=zm;host=localhost','zmuser',...) failed: Unknown database 'zm' at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 89
Can't call method "prepare_cached" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 91.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 100.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/zmupdate.pl line 49.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/zmupdate.pl line 49.
 zoneminder
I was looking for a sure-fire hassle-free installation but ran into a snag.. Please help point me the right direction, thank you..
The first thing that worries me is that it declares it's upgrading. You didn't have a previous installation (manual or otherwise) of zoneminder on the machine?

Also, how did you install mysql on that machine? apt-get install? When you install it via apt you get prompted for a password for other packages to use, and the package install for zoneminder relies on being able to use that password.

The rest of the errors flow from that one.

(PS: you can skip the manuall apt-get install steps on that page; the apt-get -f install should pull them in).

PJH
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

fatboy wrote:
I only have grey scale right now BUT I'm new to 1.24 and some tweaking is in order.

Took a little massage to get libavcodec52 installedafter futzing with adding/removing

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

in /etc/apt/sources.list

Wish I could be a bit more precise, didn't really keep track of exact details but it wasn't too painful.
Please keep me informed. As I said above; the package is in no way fully tested, so all feedback is good :)

PJH
madscientist159

Post by madscientist159 »

I am running Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit, and get the following errors when I attempt to install the package from your website.

dpkg -i zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 241581 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking zoneminder (from zoneminder_1.24.1-pre-1_amd64.deb) ...
Starting ZoneMinder: Can't connect: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Debug.pm line 349
        ZoneMinder::Debug::Fatal('Can\'t connect: Permission denied') called at /usr/bin/zmdc.pl line 167
failure

invoke-rc.d: initscript zoneminder, action "start" failed.
 zoneminder
Any ideas? :)

Tim
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Experience from 20,000 feet so far.

Yesterday I Installed Lenny on one hard drive and 1.23.2 all via apt. Instantly I experienced random reboots as usual. I chalked it up to a heat problem but have to say, up until the last couple months of attempts to install etch/1.23, the original etch install from a year ago never had the problem. The IC's on the PV149 did not seem excessively hot, yet with the case off and lots of air the reboots stopped (given what little time I tested/troubleshot - only an hour or so). With all the differences in ffmpg (just to mention one) over the last year I was relatively convinced something wasn't getting along with something and memory violations was my suspect. Without ZM running the machine was doing all it's jobs (ntp, samba, central backup server via rsync, gateway, snort w/mysql, web server for a couple domains, I'm sure I'm missing a few - you get the idea, I'm a Sr Linux Sys Admin) and didn't suspect hardware.

Then I took another HD, installed Lenny and the 1.24 .deb via dpkg with the case on and back in it's "hole". No reboots so far, seems solid. backup, ntpd, samba, everything is working, only log issue that exists is:

zms[6350]: Libgcrypt warning: missing initialization - please fix the application

when I open the view window and any video feed takes place.

Noisy logs is my only issue.

Still in grey scale (I'll play w/it) but no reboots, no false positives!!!

Barely in it 24 hours yet but I'm one happy camper. You can smell trouble coming from a mile away and there has been none given the bleeding we're playing with - and I haven't cut myself :shock: