FreeBSD port for 1.23.3

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
achix

Re: FreeBSD port for 1.23.3

Post by achix »

bsam wrote:Hello,
actually it's a port for 1.24.2. I've adopted the existing one. I'd like to get a review before committing it. Thanks!

TODO:
1. Create zm.conf.dist and don't delete zm.conf if they are different.

--
WBR, bsam

That's cool! Have you tested it? On what hardware/cameras?
bsam

Post by bsam »

achix wrote:Have you tested it?
I tested building/packaging/installing/removing. I don't have any camera right now.
Last edited by bsam on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
achix

Post by achix »

bsam wrote:
achix wrote:Have you tested it?
I tested building/packaging/installing/removing. I don't have any camera right now.
Ok, so i guess it was mostly dealing with dependencies and making it compile, right?
Should I assume that the bktr (local camera) code remained unaffected/untouched by your patches?
bsam

Post by bsam »

achix wrote:Ok, so i guess it was mostly dealing with dependencies and making it compile, right?
Should I assume that the bktr (local camera) code remained unaffected/untouched by your patches?
Yes and yes. I took the existing port, convert existing patches to unified diffs, move some patches to Makefile (those which add /usr/local/bin to the PATH), made the port PREFIX and LOCALBASE agnostic, add LICENSE, fix dependencies, rewrote rc script, moved manual pages from pkg-plist to Makefile and fixed pkg-plist. The port compiles, installs, packages, deletes.

I did not add/delete any new features except deleting some make and environment variables from the Makefile (they seem to be defaults anyway).

So if anybody test the new port and report back that it works I may commit it to the ports tree.
achix

Post by achix »

bsam wrote:
achix wrote:Ok, so i guess it was mostly dealing with dependencies and making it compile, right?
Yes and yes. I took the existing port, convert existing patches to unified diffs, move some patches to Makefile (those which add /usr/local/bin to the PATH), made the port PREFIX and LOCALBASE agnostic, add LICENSE, fix dependencies, rewrote rc script, moved manual pages from pkg-plist to Makefile and fixed pkg-plist. The port compiles, installs, packages, deletes.

I did not add/delete any new features except deleting some make and environment variables from the Makefile (they seem to be defaults anyway).

So if anybody test the new port and report back that it works I may commit it to the ports tree.
1st off, thanx for the effort! Just a question: What made you try to upgrade the port, if you do not have any need to actually use it?
Is this some school project?
nonofurbiz

Post by nonofurbiz »

jo bsam,

just ran your port, forgot to add mysql-server but otherwise compiled successfully on 8.2-current. After building and installing mysql-s51, ran it and got this:

Starting zm.
Bareword "ZM_USE_DEEP_STORAGE" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder/General.pm line 95.
BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder/General.pm line 113.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder.pm line 35.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder.pm line 35.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46.
./zm: WARNING: failed to start zm

As I ported-modified the 1.23.3 version myself to build on 8.0-stable, and having troubles on my own that currently dunno how to fix, i would love it, if you could make this a workable port.
You wrote that you just tested it installing/removing, try running it...

Regards,
achix

Post by achix »

Has anybody looked at this:
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... =9&t=15359
?
nonofurbiz hi, have you looked at it? If you could merge white_raven's patches, yours, and my local camera code
you could have a working 1.24 zoneminder for FreeBSD 8.2?
bsam

Post by bsam »

achix wrote:1st off, thanx for the effort! Just a question: What made you try to upgrade the port, if you do not have any need to actually use it? Is this some school project?
It's not a project. It's as simple as "I think that it's good to have this program at the ports tree".
achix

Post by achix »

bsam wrote:
achix wrote:1st off, thanx for the effort! Just a question: What made you try to upgrade the port, if you do not have any need to actually use it? Is this some school project?
It's not a project. It's as simple as "I think that it's good to have this program at the ports tree".
A poorly tested (or even worse ... untested) port is always a bad idea.
We are sinking everyday in more broken ports with no maintenance.
That is why I avoided taking ownership of this port. I just could not manage it.
bsam

Post by bsam »

[quote="nonofurbiz"]jo bsam,

just ran your port, forgot to add mysql-server but otherwise compiled successfully on 8.2-current. After building and installing mysql-s51, ran it and got this:

Starting zm.
Bareword "ZM_USE_DEEP_STORAGE" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder/General.pm line 95.
BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder/General.pm line 113.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder.pm line 35.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/ZoneMinder.pm line 35.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl line 46.
./zm: WARNING: failed to start zm

As I ported-modified the 1.23.3 version myself to build on 8.0-stable, and having troubles on my own that currently dunno how to fix, i would love it, if you could make this a workable port.
You wrote that you just tested it installing/removing, try running it...

Regards,[/quote]

1. I removed dependency on the mysql-server but left dependency on mysql-client on purpose. zm needs client, while server may be far away from a client.
2. Can't reproduce the error at 9-CURRENT, mysql-server-5.5.10. However I use perl-threaded-5.10.1_3.
3. Here is a new version of the port:
- fixes for paths at perl scripts (should have patched *.pl.in but not *.pl at the first place);
- remove/install zm.conf only if it was not changed.
Attachments
zoneminder_1.tar.gz
A new port version
(26.04 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
bsam

Post by bsam »

achix wrote:
bsam wrote:
A poorly tested (or even worse ... untested) port is always a bad idea.
We are sinking everyday in more broken ports with no maintenance.
That is why I avoided taking ownership of this port. I just could not manage it.
Yes, that's why I write here.
Last edited by bsam on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erict35

Post by erict35 »

Hi

I'm trying (without success) to port ZoneMinder 1.24.4 on OpenBSD

Do you think it's possible because many Linux packages dependencies needed to compile ZoneMinder does'nt exist on OpenBSD packages.

I you have some recnt information on porting ZoneMinder on FreeBSD or OpenBSD ?

It seems that this link :
http://matrix.gatewaynet.com/panix/zoneminder.tar.gz

is not uptodate

Best Regards
Eric
bsam

Post by bsam »

Hello,
erict35 wrote: I you have some recnt information on porting ZoneMinder on FreeBSD or OpenBSD ?
Current port at FreeBSD is 1.24.4:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/p ... oneminder/

--
WBR, bsam
Last edited by bsam on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
achix

Post by achix »

bsam wrote:Hello,
erict35 wrote: I you have some recnt information on porting ZoneMinder on FreeBSD or OpenBSD ?
Current port at FreeBSD is 1.24.4:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/p ... oneminder/

--
WBR, bsam

I do not know if there are useful attempts by any one to run your port, but since at least the local fbsd camera code is 99.99% my code, it should at least be a wise idea to include by name on it?

I think the
# Whom: bsam, based on ports by Richard Lee and Electric Messiah
part should be a little updated.

I think it is fair enough.

Also i would be interested to know how they commit a port which has no demonstrated usability.

Bsam, hopefully in the next month or so i will try to use/review/update/make it work your port.
bsam

Post by bsam »

1. Sure there were successful reports.
2. I'm sorry you were not credited for you code. It's totally my fault. Can you create a patch or at least write here words or phrases you think should go to the Makefile?
3. It was me who committed the port. Well, I had got some positive feedback before committing.
4. I'll be glad to have you as a tester/reviewer/adopter etc.

--
WBR, bsam