$50 USD for Amcrest PTZ support

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
davidsmoot

$50 USD for Amcrest PTZ support

Post by davidsmoot »

I'll pledge $50 USD via Paypal to the developer, project, or charity of your choice for making the pan / tilt feature of https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Amcrest work in zoneminder. It appears to be straightforward from the comments on that page but let me know if it is too hard for the bounty.

Bounty to be paid when I can do an apt-get update on the Ubuntu PPA and get a working PTZ option in that camera setup. The maintainers of the Zoneminder project have final authority over who contributed what percent of the fixes that enable the support,

I understand access to hardware is a limiting factor, I'm willing to work with folks on hardware access / test platform access if needed.

Background: I have a working multi-camera system in my house and I bought one of these to test. I am blown away by the image quality, build quality, and feature set. If I can get PTZ working I am going to replace a half dozen cameras in my house with these.

David
knight-of-ni

Re: $50 USD for Amcrest PTZ support

Post by knight-of-ni »

I can do it if no one else wants to. Which model Amcrest camera do you own?

I am tied up at my day job (it's a surveillance job nonetheless) and little spare time outside that so I'll need some time.
The way we have been handling bounties is to assign a bounty to an open issue or pull request on our github site.
Whoever resolves the issue can claim the bounty.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
davidsmoot

Post by davidsmoot »

I have gotten one other response from Isaac Connor, who I am assuming is the "iconnor" of the Ubuntu PPA.

I tried to add an issue or bounty on the bounty source but either I am not allowed or I am too dumb to make it happen.

I don't care who does the work but I certainly don't want to sow discord in the project. Since Isaac controls the PPA I declared as the arbitrary finish line, he might have an advantage.

So, thank you for your interest and I'll stick by my stated rules of the bounty. If you want to coordinate with another developer and split the bounty that is great too.

David
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

I just didn't want your request to sit there with no response. As long as someone is looking into it, I'm fine with that. I don't need the money.
We do need to know exactly which model Amcrest camera you own so we can name the ptz control appropriately. There are two, and possibly a third "prohd", models in that wiki link.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
davidsmoot

Post by davidsmoot »

Model is IP2M-841EB. But if there are simulators online to code against, more is better than less models.

Thanks.
David
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

I'll add $50 to the bounty.

"Bounty to be paid when I can do an apt-get update on the Ubuntu PPA and get a working PTZ option in that camera setup." I don't need that level of completeness, but its definitely desirable. I will also alpha or beta test if desired.
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

I have this working, sorta. Camera responds "200 OK" but doesn't move. So I am inching closer, bit by bit...
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

I withdraw my bounty offer. Thanks to user Paranoid's help ( viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25574 ), I have this working. Its nowhere near a complete apt-get type polished package, but it does work to control the pan/tilt of the newer vintage of controllable Amcrest cameras, which is all that I was after.

Update...Here is the script posting: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25606
davidsmoot

Post by davidsmoot »

Alabamatoy appears to have done the vast majority of the work making an Amcrest control. Although he did not technically get it all the way to integrated in the Zoneminder distribution, his instructions were complete enough that I consider him to have "won" the bounty and I donated $50 to his charity.

Thanks for everyone who paid attention and gave me a little of their time for my goal. I will work with Alabamatoy and test with my cameras and if it is within my ability I will work to get integrated with Zoneminder proper.

David
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Good job Alabamatoy. I will try to help him get it into the distro proper. Maybe it will even make it in for 1.30.1.