Hardware Motion Detection

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
oliv3r

Hardware Motion Detection

Post by oliv3r »

Hi,

I noticed ZoneMinder tries to do all its motion detection by itself. With big camera setups, and full hd cams, this can put quite the strain on the CPU. Expensive cams (but even cheap ones) can do motion detection by themselves, so why not use this feature? Appearantly they can send a HTTP request when there is a motion event, which could in turn trigger zoneminder?

So i'm thinking, per camera generate a http request, when that request is trigged go from either 'slow capturing mode or no capturing mode' to normal capture mode?

Just a thought.
jdhar

Post by jdhar »

I think the zmtrigger script can provide an interface to this, but you may want to play around with it. Basically you would just put the monitor in 'Monitor' mode, no modect, and then take your HTTP request and trigger the cam manually. If you can get it to work, it would be a nice addition if we integrate it properly.
eyeZm, Native iPhone App for ZoneMinder: http://www.eyezm.com

Version 1.3 now available on iTunes, introduces Montage view, HTTPS/SSL support and H264 native streaming!

Subscribe to RSS feed for updates: http://www.eyezm.com/rssfeed.xml
wkulecz

Post by wkulecz »

I've not been impressed with the hardware motion detection in the various net cams I've looked at.

Best motion detection I've found so far is in the "motion" project. (http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome)

Don't know how it would scale with higher resolution, but its about the only thing I've found so far that doesn't trigger an "event" turning a light on/off. That part really impressed me, but as far as setting up a system a non-programmer can use its way behind the web interface of zoneminder. It runs one thread per camera and can really take advantage of multi-core CPUs.

Might be nice to look at getting its motion detection into zoneminder.

Zoneminder has a usually adequate solution for the light on/off problem by filtering on number of alarm frames before propagating an event to your attention. I just filter and delete events with alarm frame counts of less than some threshold.

If you know of cost effective hardware motion detection I'm interested in looking at it. The cheap PIR hardware detectors are pretty good and I've though about ANDing them to a software video motion detection but it adds greatly to the wiring complexity and they have no concept of "schedule".
Your commitment to Freedom is measured by your tolerance of others doing things you disapprove.
Mishima01

Re: Hardware Motion Detection

Post by Mishima01 »

I was poking around in the zoneminder logs and found it surprising that the logs don't contain information about user activity such as login attempts, duration of login, changes made to settings, etc.
KeviNH

Has anybody looked into how in-camera motion is published via ONVIF?

Post by KeviNH »

jdhar wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:04 pm I think the zmtrigger script can provide an interface to this, but you may want to play around with it. Basically you would just put the monitor in 'Monitor' mode, no modect, and then take your HTTP request and trigger the cam manually. If you can get it to work, it would be a nice addition if we integrate it properly.
I've managed to do this with zmtrigger and cameras which support the camera generating an outbound HTTP request when motion is detected, but many cameras do not have a way to cause the camera to initiate a HTTP.

I've noticed that many IP camera viewing apps (e.g. TinyCam on Android) are able to pick up on in-camera motion detection from many of the cameras they support, sometimes through ONVIF, sometimes through a proprietary mechanism.

Has anybody looked into how in-camera motion is published via ONVIF? SOAP?