Build Help for ZM

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
we4zonM

Build Help for ZM

Post by we4zonM »

This is a feature request under the subheading of documentation. I would like to see more documentation support for building Zoneminder, that would include installation tips on how to install the required dependencies, and what Zoneminder depends on, and common package and library names for these dependencies. I am trying to build Zoneminder 1.23 and have found it more difficult than it needs to be because of the uncertainty in the package names and what dependencies are needed. I did read the wiki and documentation under building Zoneminder, and that is why I am posting this request for improved documentation.
we4zonM

Post by we4zonM »

Some additional documentation help that would be great would be a more in depth explanation of how to use and install and configure Zoneminder. Of particular help would be how to use the mysql when installing Zoneminder. Those who develop for Zoneminder, don't need this, but those who just download it and try to build it and use it have no idea about mysql!

For instance, I tried what is in the wiki under install:
mysql < db/zm_create.sql

And I have no idea what it is for, and why it is needed. I read the man page for mysql and found out that it is a script. But there is no database in the command? Why do you need to do anything with mysql before you run "make install"?

Then, the wiki goes on to say that you may need a password for mysql. I tried the "mysql -h localhost -u root -p" with the blank password, and it did not work. I have no idea why. Help with more documentation on mysql would make it easier. Also, not having to have an internet connection to read the documentation after downloading the source, would also be great.
we4zonM

Post by we4zonM »

There are two programs that documentation would be great for on how to use them with Zoneminder. That is mysql and apache2. While they have their own documentation, a how to for a new build or installation would be helpful. Such as a description of what files you need and what they are for and what should be included in them, and a description of what they are and how to start them, use them, and stop them. Also of use, would be what to do with your system connected to the internet when using mysql and apache2. The more documentation on Zoneminder, the better as far as I can tell. If mysql and apache2 made any sense to me, then I would even write a wiki myself.