--label parameter for presets

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
Normando

--label parameter for presets

Post by Normando »

Hello dear developer.

I think there is very usesful to add a new parameter to pass to the script control, named --label=$label (the same label stored in the db) when set a preset. Some cameras (like Vivotek) use a name to refer to a preset. Currently I used the preset values ( 0 - 1 - 2 - etc) as names, but with this option I can store the presets as names in the camera.
The same apply when we need to delete a preset, we will have the choice to use the preset number or the preset label.

Thank you
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

maybe a label could be added, but i feel its too problematic to use labels as the risk of error is much higher. If all you want is a reminder what is what then an addional info label while still using number could work. But this is std accross all cctv, slecting by name wouldnt scale very well if you have 30 presets
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
cordel

Post by cordel »

Maybe leave the default interface with a link to a popup with labels would be more appropriate. I agree that it would not scale very well in the current interface.
Normando

Post by Normando »

Yes, adding labels to the buttons is very problematic to adjust at inteface, so the tooltip is ok. I was refering to the label stored at the camera, not at the buttons.
Example:

Preset = 1
Label = Door

The text "Door" is stored as preset name in the camera instead of "1"

I'm very comfortable with buttons named 1 , 2 , etc. The only issu is when I want to access the camera directly with the propietary software, when I expand the preset names I will see "Door" instead of "1".

May be only as choice we can select the parameter '$label' or '$preset'.

Thank you