Archive Events to MPEG Video

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
narmar

Archive Events to MPEG Video

Post by narmar »

helo
i would like to archive events older than 1 day as mpeg. i was looking on forum, and found some hints, but i think i would be nice if such a filter was default in zm like purgewhenfull. after a day i'm quit sure that nothing happend but would like to keep everything for few days. jpg's take a lot of space. that is why i think autoarchiving oldest event as mpeg (for ex. once a day) would be very nice.
cheers
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

if you do this you will loose access to the footage from the web i/f as sson as you remve the jpgs.

I dont think it should be a default as too many would use it without understanding it, and then be confused when all the events went.

I also think mpeg is a poor starage system for security as the interesting detail pixelates, but thats a whol other subject.

Hard disks are cheap these days so i see less and less need for mpeg based compression on std cams.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
narmar

Post by narmar »

if you do this you will loose access to the footage from the web i/f as sson as you remve the jpgs.
i know, but if names of files would be like "monitor-date.mpg" it would be enaught.

Hard disks are cheap these days so i see less and less need for mpeg based compression on std cams.
yes, but for me it wpuld be better to keep few days in very good quality jpg's and as much as i can in mpeg's
I also think mpeg is a poor starage system for security as the interesting detail pixelates, but thats a whol other subject.
not always you need very good quallity, sometimes you only need to know what peoples do.

cheers