Request updated Documentation and Wiki and Web

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
we4zonM

Request updated Documentation and Wiki and Web

Post by we4zonM »

Zoneminder v1.22.3
Airlink101 AIC250

Hi, I would like to request updated Documentation, updated Wiki, and updated Web for Zoneminder to make it less painful for new users of Zoneminder to get started.

(A) After installing Zoneminder, can you put a Menu Item with a link to the Documentation that tells you that Zoneminder is WEB based? I thought it did not install properly. Also, maybe have a command called "zoneminder" that will output a message telling you to use a web browser and go to: http://localhost/zm, and also with any standard configuration issues and point you to the Documentation too.

(B) Put a link to the HTML README on the main page for Zoneminder. There is a link to the Italian version of the README, but it only says that you can read the README online, but there is NO LINK to it.

(C) Update the README to have standard configuration commands that need to be done before using ZM to make it easier for new users, separated by distribution.

(D) Update the Wiki to have more detailed settings on how to use different cameras. See my posts about the Airlink101 AIC250 for instances about the Wiki.

(E) Zoneminder v1.22.3 crashes if I try to change settings while it is running. It could be a web browser issue, but if not, then maybe fix it so it does not crash if you change settings or monitor values while it is running.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

if your changing values you must restart zm, its not a bug
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
cordel

Re: Request updated Documentation and Wiki and Web

Post by cordel »

we4zonM wrote:Zoneminder v1.22.3
Airlink101 AIC250

Hi, I would like to request updated Documentation, updated Wiki, and updated Web for Zoneminder to make it less painful for new users of Zoneminder to get started.

(A) After installing Zoneminder, can you put a Menu Item with a link to the Documentation that tells you that Zoneminder is WEB based? I thought it did not install properly. Also, maybe have a command called "zoneminder" that will output a message telling you to use a web browser and go to: http://localhost/zm, and also with any standard configuration issues and point you to the Documentation too.
This would be something the packagers for the distribution would need to do. I do it for mine but you would need to contact the packager for your distro directly. They may or may not do it, it certainly not standard. The standard is the install the documentation in /usr/share/doc/<package_name>/
we4zonM wrote: (B) Put a link to the HTML README on the main page for Zoneminder. There is a link to the Italian version of the README, but it only says that you can read the README online, but there is NO LINK to it.
Sorry, not sure what you mean here, what link to what Italian version?
we4zonM wrote: (C) Update the README to have standard configuration commands that need to be done before using ZM to make it easier for new users, separated by distribution.
See the wiki.
Also again the responsibility of the packager as what will be required depends on how they package it.
we4zonM wrote: (D) Update the Wiki to have more detailed settings on how to use different cameras. See my posts about the Airlink101 AIC250 for instances about the Wiki.
The Wiki is there for users to update, We can't exactly afford to buy every cam available to put together instructions or test cams. It's just a little outside the budget for a volunteer operation.
we4zonM wrote: (E) Zoneminder v1.22.3 crashes if I try to change settings while it is running. It could be a web browser issue, but if not, then maybe fix it so it does not crash if you change settings or monitor values while it is running.
If you read the documentation will will see that ZM needs to be restarted when these settings are changed so the changes can be loaded in all processes.