Enable Purge when full by default

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
W.

Post by W. »

more about date specifications that can be used in filters:
http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/ ... r_113.html

should this be added to wiki as it took for me some code browsing to realize the way it works?
if common sense is so uncommon, why is it called common then?
cordel

Post by cordel »

Not a bad idea... So it's done, I just copied the clip for Relative date strings into the documentation should do for now ;)
W.

Post by W. »

good deal :) (that's what they say in alabama)
maybe you can remove last paragraph about UTC, that might confuse someone.. besides some ZM users already had problems with their system clock set to UTC (just because php by default ignores system tz settings) and that last paragraph could make things even worse. :)
if common sense is so uncommon, why is it called common then?
chameenz

Post by chameenz »

The system must be able to handle a full disk by default. My first Zoneminder install (about a year ago) died when the disk got full. Since then I've configured the PurgeWhenFull filter properly. I'm not sure why you're seriously debating whether or not this should be turned on. Let me break things down as I see them.
1. If you don't leave a small amount of space free linux breaks.
2. New events are more important than old events.
The solution is to automatically delete the oldest event to make room for a new event. If you don't want an old event to be deleted, it can be archived.
MJN

Post by MJN »

You missed out:

0. System Administration Rule #4: Never share a partition between core system and data files, as a runaway process creating the latter can leave no room for the former and hence bring the whole lot down (as you found out). This doesn't just apply to ZoneMinder events, but mail queues, log files, etc (hence why it is considered best practice to have /var on its own partition).

The reason this issue it is being debated is because, as always, there are (at least) two viewpoints and hence two perspectives as to what the default behaviour should be. Neither is necessarily right or wrong.

Incidentally I disagree with your second point - new events are not necessarily more important than old ones... e.g. your house gets burgled and the thieves get away but were caught on camera - a nosey neighbour hears the comotion and comes round to check your property completely unaware that they are being recorded on camera. The disk fills up and starts deleting old events. Your evidence gets deleted, but at least you've got some shots of your neighbour tidying up... ;)

Mathew
Beofres

Post by Beofres »

Well, I don't know if it's a system administration "rule", but whatever happened to RTFM when installing new software that you neverever played with? :lol:

If everyone clearly read the manual, they would enable the filter (it does tell you in the manual, right?)
cordel

Post by cordel »

Yes it does tell in the manual :lol: and Yes people should read it.
and this debate was actually over a few months back, Just the thread got reawakened, Thanks W. :lol:

It will not be enabled by default since when setting up a system it has to be configured. That might include changing the events path, which someone could inadvertently put a wrong path that could lead to other files (making such a mistake with the filter enabled would have the purge scripts remove all files/folders not events related or in the database) so there for, enabling it is considered part of the configuration.