Gitlab CI compatibility

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
philhanson

Gitlab CI compatibility

Post by philhanson »

I would like to build .deb packages automatically using my GitLab CI server. It seems like the best way for me to accomplish this is to write a .gitlab-ci.yml file and get it accepted upstream. Would such a file be considered for inclusion in the official repo?

If accepted, anyone with a GitLab server could import an external repo (Docs: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/ci_cd_for_external_repos/). This will enable a repository mirroring feature in GitLab. If CI runners are set up for their GitLab server, it will run just as it would if people were committing to GitLab instead of the official GitHub repo.

The CI job I'm imagining will just call utils/do_debian_package.sh and produce the .deb file as an artifact. This job only only execute automatically when new tags were pushed to the repo.

Of all the ways that I've found to automatically build .deb package, this looks like it's the cleanest and it also contributes upstream in case anyone else wants to do the same thing I'm doing. I am aware that I could just install someone else's package from a PPA, but I'd prefer to compile it from source myself and host them in my own Ubuntu repo.

If there is no interest in accepting this if I were to create it, I can find another way to implement the automation that I'm looking for, but all the other options don't involve contributing anything back, and that would make me a little sad inside.
iconnor

Re: Gitlab CI compatibility

Post by iconnor »

I'll accept it.