Installing 1.21.0

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
dpalin

Installing 1.21.0

Post by dpalin »

I am trying to install 1.21 and running into problems on 3 different systems. I have tried the livecd-install from a terminal window and it locks up at the same place which is creating /etc/fstab.

There are no errors that appear in the terminal window other then a "Prototype Mismatch" a couple times when I first start the install.

I have looked around the forums where I see reference to this problem but all seem to suggest that I should see errors in the terminal window.

All the motherboards are Intel chipsets, a couple of the processors are P4's and one of them is a P3.

Suggestions welcome.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hmm, that is mysterious.

When you say locks up do you mean the whole machine, as in a hardware lockup, or that the install program stalls out.

Since no one has reported this particular problem before, and it happens on different hardware, I would suspect the CD. Can you check that the md5sum of the ISO and the CD itself match this:

1d966ed747a3888d054899c737e1a77e ZMliveCD_1.21.0.iso

Best regards,

Ross
dpalin

Post by dpalin »

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant by locking up. The system is still usable, I can kill the process it just hangs at 100% complete like it is not able to write to /etc/fstab.
dpalin

Post by dpalin »

The MD5 does match as well.
dpalin

Install still failing

Post by dpalin »

Anyone have suggestions as to how I can get this to install?
theenglishman

Post by theenglishman »

I've had this today when installing over a previous install. I found I had to use the advanced disk config options to remove any partitions and then create new ones in the live CD setup.

Good luck.

Neil
ESjaavik

Post by ESjaavik »

I have same problem here with 1.21.3. The install process just stalls at the point you mentioned. (Yes, I checked MD5)

Maybe it is my guesses at partitioning. There are no default partitioning so I have to use advanced (which I am not). I did however not see any "prototype Mismatch" though. Did this pop up, or do you have to dig it out from somewhere?

My 'puter have a 800MHz Via C3 CPU, 512Mbyte RAM on a mobo with VIA82C694T/82C686B chipset. 6,5Gbyte HD.

Any suggestions for default partition sizes?
I will only run ZM and one other app that also create a steadily increasing SQL database. (Weather database.)

I'll try again to remove all partitions, then reboot before creating new ones to see if that helps.

Einar
Einar AT_CHARACTER eunet DOT_CHARACTER no
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

I usually use a 2 Gig root partition, match ram as swap eg 512Mg (.5Gig) and whatevers left as var

James
ESjaavik

Post by ESjaavik »

jameswilson wrote:I usually use a 2 Gig root partition, match ram as swap eg 512Mg (.5Gig) and whatevers left as var

James
That's pretty close to what I did in my next attempt. And it boots Linux now.

I don't know if it was the partition size, or that I cleared all partitions, and rebooted from the CD before continuing the installation.

My Quickcam Pro 4000 even works in XawTV right off the installation!
Now on to get everything rolling!
Einar AT_CHARACTER eunet DOT_CHARACTER no
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

the first time i tried to install i accepted all the defaults. I think that it defaults to an 800Mb rootpartition then all the others. Good luck with the live cd. I have tried the others on here but live cd is my fav. I know its nice to be able to customise everything but you can anyway on live cd. Its a great bit of kit. WSoftware is Phil's live cd is Ross's, and they both know a hell of a lot. Thanks again you two. Aslo people on here add various things all the time Cordel will be able to answer virtually any question you can think of. Anyway Good luck any issues come back here and someone will know. And another big thanks to all involved not just the above.

James
biadco

Post by biadco »

I have exactly the same problem w/ install.
Two different machines.
Install stops at "create /etc/fstab"
All disk activity stops, and machine - all functions.
Will not go to boot loader screen.
Tried re-booting to cd and went to a tty1 screen.
(ctrl,alt,F1)
/etc/fstab was there.
/etc/lilo.conf was there.
I figured "aha!" I just run lilo.
Nope. Error message: read-only file system.
Tried writing lilo to a floppy.
Same error: "read only file system"
What is going on?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

sometimes youhave to reboot after changing partitions, use advanced to change/ setup your partitions svaen and exit. reboot and install without modifying aprtitions, thats the only issue ive ever had withthe live cd installer

James
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
biadco

Post by biadco »

I have to follow up on my own post.
An Install was finally successfully done.
I don't think the first post was clear.
"installer" stopped doing anything, but all other functions on the computer worked.
I finally did an fdisk and deleted everything.
Next try, it seemed to install properly.
I believe that getting the partitions correct is critical.
A note for thinkpad users: As the boot notes whiz by, you have to hit he "I"
key at just the right time, and say "NO" to service "numlock".
Otherwise, numlock is enabled and cannot be turned off.
You cannot log in as root!
Now for a new issue!
"connection refused - localhost"
What fun!
This is why I am very happy to pay lucre for commercial distros.
I am perfectly happy to pay for software that just installs and works.
Here is a note to developers:
Hello!! Not everybody thinks a product should be "free"!
Commercial users (like me) will pay you money for solutions!!
cordel

Post by cordel »

biadco,
I'm sorry to hear that you have such a hard time installing and getting the software to work.
Everyone here tries very hard to make things as simple as possible and certainly, Ross's Live CD does contribute heavily to doing that.
The term "free software" as termed in the GNU license I think is very different than what you may think it is. Under the GNU license "free" means that you are free to modify, redistribute, and have available to you the source code:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

There is nothing stopping anyone from donating to the projects to give:
1) Incentive for the developers to keep going.
2) Developers need a way to put food on the table, donations allow them to spend more time working on their project otherwise they need to do other jobs that do put food on the table first.
3) As users may use varying equipment, it is difficult to test every scenario. The cost of buying this equipment to do what it is we do far exceeds any donations we have received.
A good case would be for example donations of equipment ( thank you for those that have sent cameras and other equipment to help support the project this has been the most valuable in my opinion, plus it helps us make ZM to support more). I spent some time working with someone to build a x86-64 rpm since I don't have a 64 bit machine to build software and never received in return the package to share with the rest of the community :( .

I don't know or track the donation records but they are not very high (again, thank you to all those that have).

As ZM's registration is now nearing 2000, I would like to suggest (I would have rather PM ed every one this) but I think now would be a good time for everyone to buy both Ross and Phil a beer for their efforts ( more or less send a $5.00 donation ).
They spend as much time as they can working on the projects and supporting everyone here on the forum and do a rather good job of it, and all this is done in their free time that they could be spending with family or friends. So with that being said, free it is not as is has cost a persons time and commitment to have it at all.

Just my two cents worth, and my opinion.
Regards,
Cordel
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i agre with you cordel lets all send in something as a thankyou.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk