HD detection issue.

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
ekiboy69

Still debugging - where is initrd read from?

Post by ekiboy69 »

Hello,

I think I was right in guessing that the umount commands I was wondering in the last message should be given after exiting from the chrooted shell (/dev/sda1 file system).

Booting is not successful. The SATA disk is recognized but the root file system cannot be mounted. I get error 6 and a kernel panic soon after that.

As I do not understand the way lilo & initrd work, I have to ask: where is initrd supposed to be read from? Could it be possible that reading initrd is not possible simply because it is located in the EXT3 filesystem on a SATA partition?

Would it be possible to write the initrd on a cd and read it from there? I have 2 dvd drives on the system so this not an obstacle.

Again lost,
ekiboy69

I think a custom kernel is needed

Post by ekiboy69 »

Hello, Ross & others!

I've been asking about this SATA problem from my friends using Linux. First, it seems my assumption about the boot failure being caused by the nonreadability of initrd seems to be wrong. I reviewed lilo.conf before I wrote a new boot sector with lilo.

As said - I am still getting the same errors:

Mounting ext3 root filesystem fails with error 6
pivotroot fails with error code 2

Would a custom kernel be an option?

Sincerely,
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I wish I could be more help, but I would be just guessing at a solution. You may be right that a different kernel with builtin (not module) support for your harware may be the answer.

Here is a link to a linux SATA site: http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Perhaps you will find something helpful there. Please let us know what success you have.

Ross
ekiboy69

SATA works when chipset support is compiled into the kernel

Post by ekiboy69 »

Hello,

I have made progress: I have managed to make an installation on an IDE-HDD so that the SATA-HDD partitions are automounted with no trouble.

The trick to do this is to compile a new kernel including the SATA support and the appropriate low-level SATA chipset module into the kernel. The tmb kernel that Ross has used is otherwise good (no wonder - it's made in Finland :-) but it has the SATA support as modules.

They do not seem to work as modules.

Is it possible to make an own LiveCD from this installation I've made now?

Keep on trying - either your forehead or the wall will crack....
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Is it possible to make an own LiveCD from this installation I've made now?
Probably. There are some things in the tmb kernel that are needed, such as squashfs support, and an elusive patch that allows the long boot command lines that result from bootcodes to work. If you built the new kernel from the tmb kernel source, and just changed some config options, it will most likely work just fine.

You're right, nothing works like dogged persistence. :)

Ross