livecd translation

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
davide

livecd translation

Post by davide »

Hi Ross,
I subscribed the livecd mailing list and noticed you are working on multi language support in livecd scripts.

Count me in if you need a hand in this (or in anything else).

Personally I am working on a modification of livecd-install script as I need to run it from a shell without the Xserver support (non Qt, just libDrakx): I am trying to build a server installation of zm (with its liveCD). Are you interested? already working on it?

bye.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hi Davide,
Yes I will take all the help I can get. I will post more details when I have a little more time, I'm off to my paying job now.

Give me some more details of what you are working on.

Later,

Ross
davide

Post by davide »

I am working on this:

The goal is: "a liveCD that installs a minimal server linux distro with zm"

I would like a system with only:
-Apache
-MySQL
-Perl
-PHP
-FFMpeg
-mgetty
-zoneminder

NO Xserver, in general nothing that burns my RAM and CPU.

I see 2 ways to get this:
1) build a linux distro by myself, adding only necessary packets, but how to install it on other computers?
2) starting from Mandrake and cut all unnecessary packets.

I started building a LFS distro (LinuxFromScratch).
Successfully built a nice small system, 100MB or so, only 80 MB or my RAM used, zm running like hell...

...but how to deploy it on a different hardware? a livecd like knoppix or a livecd built from mandrake could work: once booted a script could format the HD, mke2fs the partition, untar my distro in it, install boot loader etc... But then I realized I need hardware autodetect, self-configuring...

Now I am working on mandrake10, trying to cut away everything (I still get 600 MB minimum, but good RAM usage). this way seems to be easyer, more stable, more reliable.
I am using 2.6.3-4mdk kernel, squashfs package from urpmi-Mandrake10 contrib (it is not the last version), livecd scripts from CVS.
My problem now is the installation script: livecd-install
It uses Qt so it needs an Xserver to work, but my livecd doesn't have an xserver, so the script does not work and my livecd does not install.
I am re-writing livecd-install using only libDrakX so it will work also on a non-x system

bye,
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I am re-writing livecd-install using only libDrakX so it will work also on a non-x system

Please keep me posted on this. I think the folks on the livecd mailing list would also be interested.

I think your concept of a minimal system CD is one that many will appreciate. After I get the next ZMliveCD out (which I plan for shortly after Philip releases 1.19.5) I plan to start a "How to customize you own livecd" thread here. It's absurdly easy to install from the livecd, add or remove packages, change settings, and burn a new CD.

Here is the current status of multi language support. All languages supported by the ZoneMinder interface are also supported by KDE in the livecd. I think almost any keyboard ever created is supported. livecd-install supports English , French, German, and Italian.
My next step is to get the system to proccess the lang=<language> bootcode so that the system comes up in the selected language.

I will post another thread outlining what help I can use translating.
ekiboy69

Superb! Let's ditch X

Post by ekiboy69 »

Hello,

This is a very good idea! Leaving X aside increases system performance very much. Almost all of the system freeze-type problems I have had have been related to using X on the same machine.

Very good idea. I might do the Finnish translation.

ekiboy69
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Very good idea. I might do the Finnish translation.
Please do.
Leaving X aside increases system performance very much.
I agree wholeheartedly. I would comment though that you can install the livecd system, and then turn off services not needed. Then the only penalty is the harddrive space the system takes up.

Regards,
Ross
ekiboy69

Post by ekiboy69 »

Ross wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly. I would comment though that you can install the livecd system, and then turn off services not needed. Then the only penalty is the harddrive space the system takes up.
Actually this is what I am doing right now. Not using X on the surveillance box itself has on impact on some of the development branches we have been discussing here in some other threads. For example the choice of software used for burning the archived events to cd/dvd (discussed in contributions) should be considered having this in mind.

/elias
ekiboy69

Post by ekiboy69 »

Ross wrote:
Actually this is what I am doing right now. Not using X on the surveillance box itself has on impact on some of the development branches we have been discussing here in some other threads. For example the choice of software used for burning the archived events to cd/dvd (discussed in contributions) should be considered having this in mind.

/elias