Installation routine crashes

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
rsl

Installation routine crashes

Post by rsl »

Hi everybody,

first I would like to say that ZoneMinder and also the LiveCD is a really great product and I like it!!!
So I tried to install the new LiveCD, V.1.19.1. Everything works fine (I also had to add the boot parametres: livecd noscsi), I created two partitions, a large 30GB root fs (ext3) and a smaller swap partition (3GB ext3).
After that, I started the KDE installation wizard. At about 12 % the installation crashes and the system hangs up. The routine try to do something with "urpmi"...I think it tries to extract the packages.
I tried it three more times, but every time same result.
I can´t check any log file or syslogd because the machine is REALLY crashed... Hardware detection in bootup process works fine and no error occurs.

Maybe you know a problem with <urpmi> or can give me a hint?

Hardware: Fujitsu Siemens W600, P3 4Ghz, 512MB Ram, 80GB HDD, GrandTec X-Guard 4-port

Thanks in advance,

Ralph
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hi Ralph,
The installer just copies files from the CD to the hard drive, there is no package extraction going on. Is it possible your CD is corrupted? You can check the CD against the md5sum file from the download page. If you put the CD in /dev/cdrom, "md5sum /dev/cdrom" should give the same checksum as the file from here.

If the CD checks out OK try running livecd-install manually. From a terminal window enter "sudo bin/livecd-install". You will then be able to see any error messages generated in the terminal window. If you cant resolve the problem this way, post any error messages here.

Regards,

Ross
rsl

That´s it!

Post by rsl »

Hi Ross,

the md5 checksum solved the problem.
In fact, my CD was corrupted.
Don´t use CD-RW which are not really ok.
In germany we say a slogan like "can´t see the wood for the trees"!

Now I can experience new version!

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Ralph