Experience with LiveCD 1.19.1

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
DavidWarner

Experience with LiveCD 1.19.1

Post by DavidWarner »

I had a few problems getting started.
1) the need to type livecd noscsi at the boot prompt. I got the page error (see fernamdo april 10 in the 1.17.0 Forum) but ar a different virtual address. I tried again on another PC and it just hung at the same point in the load (just after the 'Activating swap partitions message'). Then I read fernando's post and the reply from Ross.

2) My old PC, only has 128MB of memory, which leads to a question: if I build a hard disk from the LiveCD then transplant it to my 128MB PC, should that work OK? The PC in question has been running ZM 1.18.1 since last January.

3) The Mandrake/ZM install worked a treat.

4) I had trouble with configuring grub. I had to find out how to dual boot my SuSE with Mandrake 10.

5) Once booted, I found Mandrake hadn't recognised my TV card (Its a Flyvideo 3000, using an SAA7134 chip). Although the machine said it couldn't find a TV card, looking at System/Configuration/Configure your computer and selecting Hardware detects the SAA7134 as an 'Other MultiMedia device'. From a terminal window, as root, use modprobe -k saa7134 to load the module and all was sweet.

All in all, very little trouble. I like the look and feel of Mandrake 10, KDE 3.2 and ZM 1.19.1, definatly worth the effort.

Thanks Ross!

- David.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hi David,
I'm glad to hear it worked for you. I think many may get frustrated by the scsi hardware probe hang. I will look into putting a boot message about it into the next version. It affects harware that gave no trouble with v1.17.1 which used a 2.4 kernel. Of course the scsi probe it required on a machine that uses scsi disks.
About installing a pre-setup disk into a machine with 128 MB, yes it will probably work. May need some reconfiguration. However Apache, MySQL, KDE, Mozilla, and ZoneMinder is a lot to ask of 128 MB. One camera is probably max. But if you run it as a server only, boot run level 3, and access from LAN, etc it should handle more. If you do this, please post your results.

Thanks for the report.

Ross
DavidWarner

Post by DavidWarner »

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the reply.

After posting my earlier message I installed ZM 1.19.1 (without live CD) on the 128MB machine. Initially it ran like a dog but seems to be better after a couple of days (I haven't done anything, just monitored it from time to time over a LAN connection). It has one camera at 500 x 582 and a P III 833 MHz cpu.

Regards, David.