No camera found when using ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-master

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
drogos

No camera found when using ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-master

Post by drogos »

Just did a fresh install of ubuntu 18.04 server, then added this ppa, and found some issues that I managed to resolve, and some that I did not.

The '/var/cache/zoneminder/cache' directory is not readable by apache after install, so the ui does not look great. Giving apache permissions to that folder solved it:

Code: Select all

<Directory /var/cache/zoneminder/cache>
	Options -Indexes +FollowSymLinks
	AllowOverride All
	Require all granted
</Directory>
The rewrite module for apache is not enabled:

sudo a2enmod rewrite
Zoneminder is not enabled by default after install. Not sure if this is the indended behaviour or not

sudo a2enconf zoneminder
A nice feature to add to the installer would be to configure the datetime of php automatically, but that is just a minor feature wish :)

Got it up and running, and started to move my cameras from the old installation to the new one. They are all IP cameras, and this is where I am lost. The cameras have the exact same configuration as on the old server, but in the new installation I get the following error:

'zmc -m 1' exited abnormally, exit status 255
I have searched this issue, and checked that cgi is enabled in apache, also installed libv4lconvert0, libv4l-dev and libv4l-0. Added

$ENV{LD_PRELOAD} = '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so';
right before my

@daemons = (
in /usr/bin/zmdc.pl But the error is still the same. I have no local camera connected to the server.

I tried Probe and ONVIF as well, both with an empty list.

Anyone have some suggestions on how to proceed getting the cameras back up?

Edit:

For anyone that does not care too much about the ppa, but wants ZoneMinder up and running on ubuntu server 18.04 there is an excellent guide here: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way (Got this tip on IRC). Installed the nginx version there and it works great! The very last part about editing /etc/default/fcgiwrap that file was not there on my system, but I edited /etc/init.d/fcgiwrap and that seems to work for now, atleast until the system updates :)

Edit 2:

At a closer look, it seems like the problem was the for some reason I can not use DAEMON_OPTS="-f -c 1", had to remove -f and use DAEMON_OPTS="-c 1" instead.