Can ZoneMinder run in Mint?

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
ferox

Can ZoneMinder run in Mint?

Post by ferox »

hi folks,
I'm a virtual complete novice with Linux, but have successfully installed Mint 18.3 Sylvia alongside Windows 7 on an old desktop and now looking for alternatives to the Windows based software I currently use. One of these is iSpy and ZoneMinder certainly looks like an impressive alternative, but I can't see that there is a package available for Mint. Would it be possible to tweak one of the other packages to fit?

Thanks in anticipation.
bbunge

Re: Can ZoneMinder run in Mint?

Post by bbunge »

Mint is the same as Ubuntu. See the Zoneminder WIKI for Ubuntu desktop.

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu#Guid ... tu_Desktop

And why haven't you upgraded that Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10?
ferox

Post by ferox »

Thanks for the reply bbunge,

To answer your question first, this is an old desktop PC which has been largely redundant up until now and been used almost exclusively for running iSpy for my security cameras. It was only upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista last year and I'm quite happy with it that way. When (and if) I get sufficiently up to speed with Linux and get it to do everything I want it to then it will only really ever have to run Windows if I am away from home and my wife's laptop packs in.

This machine is ideal for my first tentative forays into using Linux because it isn't the end of the world if I end up making fatal mistakes. I am currently at the very foot of a very steep learning curve here so be gentle with me please!

Since my first post I have successfully managed to instal Wine from an Ubuntu source, your post having given me the reassurance to try it. It was pretty straightforward and included a line of code which had to be modified for Mint. I tried installing iSpy in Wine but that is a complete non-starter.

So on to ZM. Flushed with my success with the Wine installation I followed the link here to the Isaac Connor PPA and followed the instruction by entering;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder

then;

sudo apt-get update

The whole process seemed to go as it should, lots of downloading and so forth, at the end of it all I was left with the cursor prompt and no error messages so I am assuming it is now installed. But I am at a loss as to what to do next. As I said I am a complete novice with Linux and whilst I am not so naive as to expect a nice friendly icon to have magically appeared on the desktop as would happen in a Windows installation I would have hoped there might be some acknowlegement somewhere that ZM is indeed installed and maybe even ready to use (no, I am not THAT naive!).

So - what next? Does the PPA install everything that I will need to run ZM, or do I have to get more bits and pieces to make it work?
Either way how do I even see that it is on my machine, let alone actually run it?
Can it be accessed through the GUI or will I have to use terminal (which I don't mind as I accept that is the way things are done in Linux and I am keen to start getting my teeth into it)?

All advice and comments gratefully received, but I will reiterate I am a complete newby, please be gentle with me!
detxm80

Post by detxm80 »

yes i use it with mint
DVB Hardware

Post by DVB Hardware »

detxm80 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:22 pm yes i use it with mint
Me too
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon Mariadb 10.6.x using Master 1.37.x latest always

DVB stands for Digital VIdeo Broadcasting , retired satellite downlink supplier