ZM 1.30 and Ubuntu distro

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
xeddog

ZM 1.30 and Ubuntu distro

Post by xeddog »

Are there any plans to create current release packages for the Ubuntu distros so I can avoid PPA's? PPA's are really too much of a problem, but down the road they have to be manually managed (added, deleted, modified, . . .) where distros do not.

Just askin'.

Wayne
praxidice

Re: ZM 1.30 and Ubuntu distro

Post by praxidice »

Hear Hear !!!!

I've tried every possible Ubuntu variant and all proved completely unusable. A common problem that has apparently been experienced by numerous others is that when installing from a USB stick, the system demands an unknown username / password combination. Whilst I prefer FreeBSD in (CLI) webserver / mailserver environments, I have used Ubuntu in Kodi and desktop situations and found it OK, but my recent experience with USB sticks has not been happy. Mind you the same applies to CentOS and a few other assorted linuxen. I gather that the lack of proper maintenance of ZoneMinder has let everything go to the dogs but hopefully the re-launch will lead to concerted debugging.
asker

Re: ZM 1.30 and Ubuntu distro

Post by asker »

I gather that the lack of proper maintenance of ZoneMinder has let everything go to the dogs but hopefully the re-launch will lead to concerted debugging.
So help out by fixing the problem(s), or donate money. The devs are doing this voluntarily.
Why keep complaining? If you'd prefer to neither donate nor contribute, then you should consider framing your posts positively and not dissing ZoneMinder as you seem to be doing in multiple posts. If you don't why would the devs care to listen to you? They have enough on their plate already (look at the GitHub issue list) and I know they are working on it (simple to look at commit history to see if its active, or "gone to the dogs")

A bit of history (that I got to know about after getting involved around 2 years ago) - ZM was developed over 14 years ago - the original developer took it to a point and then moved on to other things. The current group took that code over after a couple of years of lull. So the ZM tech stack is quite old, but the current team (and other contributors) have kept improving it, adding functionality, and most importantly, there are still many things in ZM that the current team doesn't know and need to figure out why things were done in a certain way.

So yes, ZM doesn't have an aggressive roadmap. There are other products out there that do, possibly. But I think the current speed is what ZM is going to stay with unless there are more contributors or more money (my opinion, I don't speak for the devs here)
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs