Worth updating from 1.24.2 to 1.24.4?

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
FeraTechInc

Worth updating from 1.24.2 to 1.24.4?

Post by FeraTechInc »

I recently started using Zoneminder and failing with iSpy.

We currently have Zoneminder installed on Ubuntu 10.04 lts x64.

The version of Zoneminder in the repositories is: 1.24.2

Is it worth updating to the new version? We have 17 cameras total. Also, is there an update guide? I have checked everywhere without success.
jameswilson

Re: Worth updating from 1.24.2 to 1.24.4?

Post by jameswilson »

how did you install it?
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
TwinCams

Post by TwinCams »

Hi, I'm new to Zoneminder as well but I think this is what you should have used to install Zoneminder on you x64 system: Ubuntu Server 10.10 64-bit with ZoneMinder 1.24.2 from source What you showed is the desktop version.

Anyone feel free to chime in...
**Windows guy new to Linux**
be patient with me ~ please! ;)
[I search first, before posting]
-------
ZoneMinder: 1.24.2
Ubuntu: 11.04 Desktop
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

ok
I meant did you install from source or with a package?
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
FeraTechInc

Post by FeraTechInc »

Yea sorry I installed the package in the repositories. I used one of the howto guides. Sorry I linked the wrong one. I did not install from source.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

well if the package has been updated then its a simple matter of using the repo.
but if you dont have a problem and dont need anythin ithe newer version then probably not worth it.
James Wilson

benolding

Post by benolding »

The Debian package appears not to have been updated yet.

I have the same question as the original poster: is there someone who knows a lot more than me - a complete newbie to zoneminder - that can tell me whether it's worth the trouble of manually (or otherwise working around the very simple "apt-get zoneminder" command available to Ubuntu users) upgrading from 1.24.2 to 1.24.4?

We cannot just upgrade from the same repository, which would obviously be ideal. I think we'd need to uninstall 1.24.2 and then install 1.24.4 by downloading the rpm from this website.

Thanks! Much appreciated. The answers I'd expect are something along the lines of:

1) Someone eventually will get around to packaging 1.24.4 for debian. In the meantime, don't worry about it.
or
2) Yeah, it's worth the upgrade, and honestly it's not that hard to do.

Thanks!

ben
parky

Post by parky »

Well yes, I would expect the same as you.

With the Ubuntu install from a repo it's so easy that you can set it up in minutes. I started by using just the package and found the Ubuntu route is so much easier. I was looking at the newer versions, but I think I will stick with what is working and not make a load of work for myself.

When the repo has the newer versions available I will move then. It will get done eventually, but not in step with all the new Zoneminder versions that are coming out thick and fast this year.
I am looking forward to the new enhancements in 1.25, but they look to be mostly 'under the hood' unless I have missed something.
Schuhkasten

Post by Schuhkasten »

Hello

1.24.2 works fine from the repository. Problem is only for using eyeZM (iPad app) you need 1.24.3 or higher which is really worth to so it!
Building seems to be not so easy and beside 1.24.2 I could not make any higher version install!