Zoneminder Virtual Appliance : Invalid virtual machine confi

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Meelmuis

Zoneminder Virtual Appliance : Invalid virtual machine confi

Post by Meelmuis »

Hello all,

I did the following:
* Downloaded the virtual appliance.
* editted the vmx as discribed in article (edit vmx for serial usb and sound)
* Removed the png
Uploaded the data to the datastore and added the VM to the inventory.
When i then start the VM i get the errors as attached.

Does anyone knows what goes wrong? Seems like a problem with the ubuntu iso. Strangly enough it worked before a couple of weeks ago. I think the only different is that this host is patches with latest firware and drivers..

Hope someone can help me out here.
Attachments
error2.jpg
error2.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
error1.jpg
error1.jpg (31.63 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
Meelmuis

Re: Zoneminder Virtual Appliance : Invalid virtual machine c

Post by Meelmuis »

I removed some of the settings in the vmx which were not relevant such as the ubuntu disk. I now get another error, seems to be something wrong with the harddisk file. See the attachment.

Anyone idea's? Tried everything, such as creating a new virtual machine and adding the disk. Then also the error appears.
Attachments
error3.jpg
error3.jpg (36.5 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Locoblade

Re: Zoneminder Virtual Appliance : Invalid virtual machine c

Post by Locoblade »

The issue is how the vmdk has been provisioned, if you look in your VM settings, rather than thin or thick provisioned it lists the disk provisioning as "sparse", which ESXi (and I suspect your version of VMWare) doesnt support.

To fix it you need to get to the command console / shell and use the following command to clone the vmdk into a useable format

vmkfstools -i "/vmfs/volumes/<Your Datastore Name>/zoneminder_va_0_2/Zoneminder.vmdk" -d thin "/vmfs/volumes/<Your Datastore Name>/zoneminder_va_0_2/ZoneminderThin.vmdk"

This will clone the vmdk as a thin provisioned disk, once you've done this remove the Zoneminder.vmdk from settings then attach the new ZoneminderThin.vmdk in it's place, and it should now boot.