How I got My Ubuntu10.04 zm setup to work

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
JLstephens

How I got My Ubuntu10.04 zm setup to work

Post by JLstephens »

1) Don't even try to get zm to work off of a self install until you have gotten zm to work using a pre configured distro. I was able to get zm to work on both the blue cherry distribution and another distro found on this site. Many people have reported good results with the LM Larch? I will try to find the name of the other distro on this site. It is a new one that works.

The purpose of this is that it is much easier to figure out camera and capture card issues on a software install that has already correctly figured out the apache, php, perl, etc issues.

Once you know how to set up your capture card and camera on a known good distro, then perform a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04 on a dedicated box and follow the directions in the Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid Lynx) Destop wiki for installing. Put on your best glasses because punctuation counts.

I had some minor issues with video for linux 1 vs video for linux 2 but just copy your configurations from your working premade distros.

It has taken me around a year and a half to get to this point. I have given up more times than I can think of because I was looking for a security solution and not a science project. I'm sure I will have plenty more problems but at the moment I am inclined to write a modest check to the project.
JLstephens

Re: How I got My Ubuntu10.04 zm setup to work

Post by JLstephens »

the other preconfigured distro that I tested on was found by googling awdmesh.
dewmanstl

Post by dewmanstl »

This is how I got mine to work.

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... 29_Desktop

All of about 15 minutes and it was working. :mrgreen:
parky

Post by parky »

I think that's the install instructions that I used. Makes it so easy to do and as you say 15 minutes and it is done

Credit to the author who put it together !
Schuhkasten

Post by Schuhkasten »

yes thanks a lot. Does anyone has a similar install routine for "self build sources" as 1.24.4 oder 1.25.0 or is it really only:

1) ./configure ....
2) make install

I need 1.24.4 or 1.25.0 for eyeZM which seems to be a great plugin for iPad!
Installing 1.24.3 worked great via your how to, but by self building no way! I tried 10.04, 11.?? and 12.04.

Why is the apt-get version the "old one" and not 1.24.4 at least? Is the project not followed up? I thing its great if you have installed it once!