ZMLArch system password

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
BKahler

ZMLArch system password

Post by BKahler »

I playing around with ZMLArch on my computer (booting from CD) and am trying to change the computer screen resolution. I have a wide monitor that is 1680 x 1050.

Not being familiar with this version of Linux (actually not that familiar with any version of Linux!) I'm not sure what program to run to change the resolution settings. It seems like any program that I think would do the job requires a password. I've been searching and haven't had any luck finding the password documented anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated!

Brad
curtishall

Re: ZMLArch system password

Post by curtishall »

I've never used Arch Linux (or zmarch) before but I imagine it might use sudo instead of having a root (enabled) account.

So...you should be able to type sudo <command you need to run as root> or sudo -s to get a root shell
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
BKahler

Post by BKahler »

Curtis, thanks for the reply.

The problem is a root shell won't do me any good. I'm trying to use the system configuration tool to change my monitor/screen resolution. I seem to be stuck at about 640x480 or so and would like to make better use of my 1680 x 1050 monitor.

The system configurator requires a password and I can't seem to find any documentation on the forum or on the CD telling me what it is.

Brad
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

There are no passwords set for user or root. Set one for root with "sudo passwd"
Set one for user with "sudo passwd user"
BKahler

Post by BKahler »

Ok, I think I've got this figured out. I'm still a novis using Linux so some of the questions I ask probably don't make a lot of sense to the experts :)

On most other distros of Linux that I have used there are graphical based utilities that let you change the video resolution to suit the type of monitor installed. In Arch Linux it appears that I will need to edit configuration files manually to try and get the desired resolution (1680 x 1050).

I went ahead and installed the LiveCD on my hard drive and time permitting I will see what I can come up with for setting the resolution.

During the hard disk install I was allowed to set the root password so that problem is resolved.

Thanks,

Brad