Post of Up and Running systems with equip and system details

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
lcat45

Post of Up and Running systems with equip and system details

Post by lcat45 »

I have been robbed twice while trying to get Zoneminder up and running and have always ran into snags regarding some equipment/system detail that I could not figure out. I think it would be AWESOME if those who have up and running systems would volunteer their in-depth details to help the rest of us put together something that will work....I'm so frustrated that I'm about to just buy a Windoze solution and give up on this as it's been too frustrating and costly( lost over $17,000.00 in one breakin) so cannot afford to put too much time and effort into this anylonger.......any volunteers out there??
thanks,
Lee
whatboy

Post by whatboy »

I think there are CDs with images, just to dump on a machine...

Go to other downloads... and choose any LiveCD...
http://www.zoneminder.com/downloads.html
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Linuxtracker.org also has most of the latest of Ross Melin's creations. These live CD's are fully functional and easy to install to a HD. I've personally installed his 1.23.3 live CD (based on Mandriva 2007) to many different systems with different chipsets and video cards including laptops with no issues. Downloading one is the easy way to get a ZM box up and running.
timcraig

Post by timcraig »

From you're other posts, it looks like you were having Ubuntu or Debian package install problems. Those problems are more likely issues with software installation opposed to equipment problems.

Here are the detail's of my equipment and installation:

Zonminder Box:
-AMD AlthonX2 4850e processor
- Asrock ALiveNF7G-FullHD R3.0 motherboard (Nvidia chipset)
- 3 Western Digital harddrives
- Antec Earthwatts 500watt powersuply
- 4 X 1 Gig DDR2 800mhz Kingston Value Ram
- PV-155 capture card from bluecherry.net
- Ubuntu 8.10 Server edition (planning to migrate to Arch Linux)
- Latest version of Zoneminder 1.24.2 off of the subversion server (complied from source).

I have 9 analog cameras attached to the PV-155 card and one IP camera (a Airlink 101 747w).

If you need help with you installation and your box is accessible to the internet you can PM me details on how to access you box. I can trouble shoot your box for you.
kz5rt2

Post by kz5rt2 »

bb99 wrote:Linuxtracker.org also has most of the latest of Ross Melin's creations. These live CD's are fully functional and easy to install to a HD. I've personally installed his 1.23.3 live CD (based on Mandriva 2007) to many different systems with different chipsets and video cards including laptops with no issues. Downloading one is the easy way to get a ZM box up and running.
I know this is a stupid question, but would I need to install a linuxOS prior to install of a liveCD?
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Answered your other post:
If this is one of R.D. Melin's then just boot the CD, click on the install icon on the taskbar and configure your monitors; very painless and mostly preconfigured. The only setting I ever change is the shared memory settings.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I know that this is delayed, I had not looked at this one, but if you download the ISO (ZMLArch) and use unetbootin to install it on a jump drive you can set up your system on the jump drive, add anything you will need, shut it down and select the save option, all of your work will be saved to the jump drive. Now when you boot the jump drive and install the system on your hard drive, all of your setup will be installed with it, if your HD fails or gets buggered up, just reload from the jump drive and you are back up and running. Russ has done a great job on the ZMLArch ISO. The fact that you can set a machine up on the jump drive, save that configuration, then install it to the HD with the changes and additions is really a time saver.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm