ZM Live CD installation

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
owin385

ZM Live CD installation

Post by owin385 »

Hello Ross,

Great Job on the Live CD. I can boot to the cd and use the distro successfully, but I'm having problems with the installation. I've followed the instructions and was able the bring up the installation GUI using root and password/qwerty, but for some reason the installation failed on a new 80 HD. Here's some more information:

After typing livecd-install as root, the GUI comes up, but you can also see errors in the shell.

For example:
"Prototype mismatch: sub fMain::min ($$) vs none at /usr/lib/libDrakX/common.pm line 15"
"Prototype mismatch: sub fMain::max ($$) vs none at /usr/lib/libDrakX/common.pm line 15"
"Prototype mismatch: sub main::min vs ($$) at livecd-install.ui.pm line 714"
main::BEGIN() called at livecd-install.ui.pm line 714
eval {.....} called at livecd-install.ui.pm line 714

In the GUI, using the defaults or optional partitions the installation failed because it runs out of space and could not find a file or directory. It copies files until about 42% and then some of the following errors appear:

error messages:
chmod: failed to get attributes of '/tmp/livecd.install.7042//usr/share/applnk-mdk-simplified/Enjoy' : No such file or directory.
chown: failed to get attribute of XXX directory : No such file or directory
mkdir cannot create directory 'xxx' : No space left on device
etc...

Is there another option to install the cd?

Thanks in advance.
rdmelin

Re: ZM Live CD installation

Post by rdmelin »

Hi Olin,
It sounds like the CD should work for you. You will always these these messages:

"Prototype mismatch: sub fMain::min ($$) vs none at /usr/lib/libDrakX/common.pm line 15"
"Prototype mismatch: sub fMain::max ($$) vs none at /usr/lib/libDrakX/common.pm line 15"

These are warnings and can be ignored. There are also a few errors like this that you will always see:

chmod: failed to get attributes of '/tmp/livecd.install.7042//usr/share/applnk-mdk-simplified/Enjoy' : No such file or directory.

Ignore these as well.
The thing that seems to be the hangup is:

mkdir cannot create directory 'xxx' : No space left on device

You mention that the harddrive is 80 (GB I assume). You will need to partition it manually using fdisk. Maybe you have already done that, since the installer seems to be finding somewhere to start copying files. Be sure the GUI is using the partitions you intend. If there is more than one linux type partition available it will let you select which one or ones you want. You will need about 2 GB for the root filesystem. Check these things and let me know if you still have problems.

:)

Ross
owin385

Post by owin385 »

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the reply... I was able to install the LiveCD thanks to your reply. The problem was my MB bios only saw 10 GB instead of 80 although the partition in MD looked corrected. So used the WD CD to set the drive up and repartition the drive again using "FDISK" as you suggested in your instructions and everything worked fine.

Thanks again.
gessel

Post by gessel »

Using the LiveCD - what's an appropriate partition allocation? Where does the majority of the data get written? I assume /var, but that could be a RH preference... Or is it better to just partition a /boot, /, and /swap and put all of the data under /?

-David
gessel

Post by gessel »

Using the LiveCD - what's an appropriate partition allocation? Where does the majority of the data get written? I assume /var, but that could be a RH preference... Or is it better to just partition a /boot, /, and /swap and put all of the data under /?

-David
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hi David,
I have been using one large / partition and one small swap partition. The installer program requires a swap partition even though you may prefer not to use it. I know some recommend a /boot partition but I don't use one. The database files and the events are both in /var so I have just switched to a / and /var partition scheme with 1.5 GB or so for / and the bulk of the disk for /var. I haven't been using it long enough to swear by it, but my theory is that it would make a system upgrade easier while keeping the database and events intact. Anyway thats my wishy washy recommedation for now.

:)

Ross
gessel

Post by gessel »

Thanks Ross,

I'm writing from my mandrake install. Looks very good, though I still have a few things to work out, particularly with the dual Hauppage cards, which just don't seem to be friendly with XAWTV in pairs... But 3 inputs is a good start.

One helpful note - I might have gone about this all wrong, but I generally prefer servers to boot into the command prompt to save memory and that sort of thing. Mandrake seems to have an odd 'feature' when you use the DrakBoot tool to turn off the "Launch GUI" feature: unless you log in as root, you get a "perhaps you do not have console authority" error (paraphrasing, I fixed it and don't have it up any more). The fix that worked for me is to edit my /etc/pam.d/xserver file, changing the line
auth required /lib/security/pam_console.so
to:
auth required /lib/security/pam_permit.so
and now startx does what it's supposed to.