Zoneminder install DVD 1.24.x (3/7/2011)

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Zed

Post by Zed »

Thank you for making this iso for us to try. I put it into my dedicated system I just built for zoneminder and after a moment my 1024x768 @ 60 hz flatscreen monitor says "input not supported"

Do you know what the default screen resolution is on startup?
Zed

Post by Zed »

That "input not supported" comes and goes.. It works on my laptop with no problem, and the dedicated system screen was displayed long enough for me to choose install..
so that is what it is doing now! :D :D :D
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

A couple posts back Chuck D explains why the screen sometimes goes black on the install portion. After selecting the install option, depending on your monitor, the screen might go black until the install portion loads. I've found that after it's actually installed you shouldn't have any problems seeing the screen. You can then adjust the resolution to your needs.

I'm glad to see you've got it downloaded and installing. Let me know how it works out. We have a ton of idea's in place for that DVD.

For anyone else trying to install it, just wait for about 5-6 minutes while the DVD loads and you will see the install prompt.
Zed

Post by Zed »

I like that car on the desktop :D
The new camaro I think?
During the install portion (i think it was step 4 of 7 but not sure)
where you are supposed to set up the partitions all the control
buttons are greyed out and no partition info is shown. (the box is blank). I am now downloading Kubuntu-8.10 and am going to put that on the system first to get partitions set up and the try the install again.
The system then ran from the dvd but I was unable to add any monitors in firefox at localhost. I clink on the link but nothing happens...

I am a long time gnome fedora user (not a programmer) and am impressed by the eye candy they have in K.

Again, thanks for making this iso available.

My system:
Gigabyte ep45-ud3r motherboard
Intel core 2 duo E7300 2.6 GHz 3Mb L2 cache 1066 MHz fsb
Corsair 2 x 2 GB twinx2x4096-8500c5 g
Gigabyte Geforce 8400 Gs
Hitachi 1 TB hard drive
Zed

Post by Zed »

And I also have the Bluecherry
PV-155 - 16 port video capture card (120FPS)
with the extra heatsinks on it
and the zoneminder discount :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chuck D

Post by Chuck D »

I don't know why ubuntu 8.04 and better does not have the xorg.conf stuff to let you change the default screen resolution, but it does not.. Luckily this is a server and it is not monitor dependent anyway, but it is still nice to at least have a decent screen to look at when using it.. This version of kubuntu 8.04 LTS checks the monitor refresh rate at bootup and sets the graphics accordingly, and for some reason it only sets it for xwindows and not for the text graphics side of things..

The bottom line is that if you use a high resolution monitor with a high refresh rate you will see all of the text as it goes by during bootup and you will also get a 1600 X 1200 desktop and if you have 3D graphics with openGL, then it will also have the compiz fusion 3D desktop.. Not that anybody cares, but it is there..

I have never heard of the HDD partitioning problem though.. That is a new one to me.. I will be interested in what you find out about it..

Chuck D

(Note: The reason I chose kubuntu 8.04 LTS is because the LTS stands for Long Term Support, so this distro will be supported in the update repositories for 5 years, while all other linux distros are only supported for 18 months.. So there is a method to this madness and this is the reason we live with the messed up boot screen resolution.. They will fix that in time, I am sure.. )
Last edited by Chuck D on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
newvisionantenna

Zed,

That server has some pretty good specs. I'd like to see you get everything up and running. I've not seen that partion problem before, but I've never setup anything over 500GB or Sata with that DVD. I'll have to try and run the DVD without installing and see what I come up with. When it's fully installed I'm able to add moniters with no problem. This week I hope to roll out some updates, add more features, and fix the control settings file that somehow got mixed up in a file transfer.

I'm also working on small devices that can act as wireless repeaters and cam servers. I've got the Orbit AF cam running on a Linksys NSLU2 device with full pan/tilt/reset working in Zoneminder. The module was donated to me and I put it in the DVD build, it's called mjpgStreamer.pm
Last edited by newvisionantenna on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
river100

chuck's install

Post by river100 »

hey,
i tried to check out chuck's install. guest:guest admin:admin
could not gain access
if he's still willing to expose it to the masses, whats the code ?

thanks, downloading your dvd as i post
newvisionantenna

The server is locked down for the moment. We are working on an even bigger project that I think everyone in Zoneminder will like. Just ponder this for a moment, a complete self building wireless mesh network with camera's, a built in custom control panel for managing everything about the server, and of course Zoneminder installed for moniter, record, and motion detection abilites. You could roll out a complete security system for any business in no time flat, all without running wire or spending loads of money on expensive equipment.

This new DVD will not only be for people's own security needs, but also for people serious about making money by using the DVD as a Business tool.

Both myself and Chuck D have spoke with a moderator and our intentions are not to take anything away from Zoneminder. I will continue to offer the current live DVD for as long as possible and will give out keys as needed. Once the new project is complete Chuck D will offer our new DVD with all the features I speak of and more either here or at his site. I will let him work out all the details and donations with the correct people at Zoneminder.
river100

DVD

Post by river100 »

so i will need a key for the DVD i downloaded from this post ??

havent burned it yet
newvisionantenna

The DVD will install and operate just fine. I'll get with Chuck about the need for a key.
coke

Wireless solution

Post by coke »

This project of yours sounds really interesting. Will it be available in the US? Will it receive interference from 802.11a/b/g? Will it be scalable enough to cover a 10 story building that's roughly 2/3 of a city block?

Sounds too good to be true, but it would be nice if it works out.

Thanks,

Scott
newvisionantenna

I'm sure Chuck D will chime in here, but yes it will be available in the US. You ask if it can cover a 10 story building, no problem, and as a matter o fact Chuck D covered an entire city with his auto building mesh network.

I've been working hard on intergrating his idea's with my idea's on security systems. The key thing here is making the routers smart enough to port forward everything automatically so Zoneminder see's one ip address with multiple camera feeds on differnet ports. The good news is Chuck D has already got this nailed down and has a firmware builder to make firmware's for ASUS routers to run webcam's.
Chuck D

Post by Chuck D »

newvisionantenna already said it all very well, and you guys can have a copy of it.. no problem..

Tell you what... anyone who needs a key to that DVD can get it free from newvisionantenna, as he has the key generator for it..

I don't want to crash anybody's party, so we will be developing a wireless auto-mesh repeater system to work with this and we probably better do it on our own website and forum... Thanks for your time and checking that out, for the few of you who jumped on it..

Take care,
Chuck DeJarnett
newvisionantenna

I'll try and get you guys out an update to bring the DVD up to the newest 2740. I've did it all locally on the same DVD I've put out. My only concern is any changes you guys might have made could be lost in an upgrade.
Last edited by newvisionantenna on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.