Zoneminder install DVD 1.24.x (3/7/2011)

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Maxxarcade

Post by Maxxarcade »

newvisionantenna wrote:That's probably my fault for doing update/upgrades on the beta dvd. After doing all kinds of updates on packages and upgrading the kernel I ran into a problem on my virtual machine where it would keep reloading the login screen when trying to log in. I'll see if I can figure out a quick fix, but here soon the offical 10.10 will be out. I'll probably just go back and redo it all or see if I can update to the stable release. Meanwhile you should be able to get into the command line and work around the problem.
Thanks, I'll check back soon for the next update. I'm still using a very old Live CD with 1.22.x on it, and I'm eager to try the latest version!

Also tried the 8.04 based ISO that was posted at the top of this thread, but it didn't agree with the ULI M1689 chipset on the motherboard I'm using.
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

I'll have something uploaded this evening. I resolved the error at least on my VE machine and I can now log into the desktop. The script that regenerated the ssh key for each new install was incorrect also, so it would seem ssh needed to be reinstalled to work. I fixed that as well.
bumann

Post by bumann »

Hi!
here are the error messages when i change language to de_de :

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/zm/lang/de_de.php:821) in /var/www/zm/includes/functions.php on line 97

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/zm/lang/de_de.php:821) in /var/www/zm/includes/functions.php on line 98

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/zm/lang/de_de.php:821) in /var/www/zm/includes/functions.php on line 99

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/zm/lang/de_de.php:821) in /var/www/zm/includes/functions.php on line 100

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/zm/lang/de_de.php:821) in /var/www/zm/includes/functions.php on line 101

Can you give me a tip who i can fix the problem?!
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Is this the 64b code? I just downloaded it and used unetbotin to put it on a
memory stick but it will not boot.

http://update.ilovemywimax.com/zonemind ... 1.24.x.iso
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm
newvisionantenna

Looks like I'll have to hold off.. just like anything else you fix one thing and yet another breaks. After completion the install would not work. I recommend selecting the direct install option, once it installs you can go to the command line and update kdm to fix the desktop problem.

When I change to the German language and restart Zoneminder I don't see the php errors. I can look into this once 10.10 is released in a week or so.
Maxxarcade

Post by Maxxarcade »

newvisionantenna wrote:Looks like I'll have to hold off.. just like anything else you fix one thing and yet another breaks. After completion the install would not work. I recommend selecting the direct install option, once it installs you can go to the command line and update kdm to fix the desktop problem.

When I change to the German language and restart Zoneminder I don't see the php errors. I can look into this once 10.10 is released in a week or so.
I tried pressing ctrl-alt-F1 to get to a prompt, but the desktop keeps trying to come up while I'm typing the login info. I did use the direct install.

If SSH login is available by default, I don't even need the GUI. My ZM system is a headless server normally.
newvisionantenna

kp4djt - That link is for the older 8.04 32bit release, works great though if you get it installed and running.

Maxxarcade - I know what you mean, very annoying when trying to quickly get /etc/init.d/kdm stop entered. That's strange though, on my install I can get to the desktop login with no issue - it's only once I type in the username and password that it reloads. I was able to click on bottom right symbol and tell it to drop to command line.

I'll get it fixed when possible, hate having errors floating around. I recommened once you get to the command line to either uninstall and purge openssh-server or remake keys so ssh will work. Other then that, I found that be installing the dvd and updating/upgrading kdm the issue when away. The problem is after doing that I've been unable to get the initial install portion working to enable a new install dvd.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Hmm, I used Unetbootin and installed it on a memory stick but get NO OS FOUND when I try to run it I will try to put it on a DVD later on and see if
it works that way.

Is there a URL to a newer version, I see that you are working with one but I
also see that it is 64bit. I am still working with 32 bit machines right now.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
newvisionantenna

I wasn't sure what most people used now, so I leaned towards 64bit on the newer dvd. The 8.04 dvd should install just fine if you pop it in and run the install wizard.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

OK, I lean to what the customer will pay for (B-b) within reason. Small
systems do not need the 64bit cost to them, I have a 9 cam system running
on a dual core 32 bit and it is running a average load of 0.5 based on TOP.

All of the cameras are IP running 640x480. So I see no reason for a system
like that to impose on the customer the higher cost of the 64 bit system.

Regarding the first statement if they want a Walmart, Costco, CompUSA
system then I tell them they need to deal with someone else, but I will try
to configure a system to the max number of cameras I can for see in the
future and I usually double that number, and build the server box based on
that. It has never failed me so far.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
newvisionantenna

Maybe when I get back and have more time I'll make a 32bit version, meanwhile I believe I got most of the problems worked out with the 64bit one. I posted an updated link and people are more then welcome to try it out. I switched it back to ubuntu for the desktop and problems went away wtih logging in. The install appears slightly differnet since it takes you direct to the desktop where you have to click the install button.

So far it seems to work good. I hate just tossing things up there, but until things settle down I cannot take as much time as I would like doing this.
gerfry

Post by gerfry »

newvisionantenna wrote:Maybe when I get back and have more time I'll make a 32bit version, meanwhile I believe I got most of the problems worked out with the 64bit one. I posted an updated link and people are more then welcome to try it out. I switched it back to ubuntu for the desktop and problems went away wtih logging in. The install appears slightly differnet since it takes you direct to the desktop where you have to click the install button.

So far it seems to work good. I hate just tossing things up there, but until things settle down I cannot take as much time as I would like doing this.
Nice Distro! good work!

One problem I have: at first boot I try to install directly to HD, the problem is that it crashes when copying the files to HD (mostly at 22% or 31%; did already check iso file/dvd with builtin checker) - anyone experiencing same problems / having an idea howto work around?

Thanks folks for the nice help!

greets fry
newvisionantenna

Sorry to hear this. I did not have a problem installing on my machine here. It went so well that I forgot for almost two weeks the server was running with remote ip cams attached. I could not figure out why my internet was so dang slow till today, when I noticed zoneminder was still going!
apbb2

Post by apbb2 »

My install went perfectly.

After I upgraded my 8.04 with the latest and greatest, the package upgrades uninstalled my zoneminder and the database, so I went for a new install with your 64 bit DVD.

The load on the server seems lower with the same amount of cameras and more FPS on recording.

All I needed to do was change the kernal memory settings, add Webmin and it has been running like a champ without a reboot for the last three days.

This is the easiest install I have ever had for ZM.

Thanks for the Distro.
Maxxarcade

Post by Maxxarcade »

The new Ubuntu based disc installed fine. Now I just need to get my BT878 cards working. See my post in hardware queries about the VPON 4 input cards if you think you can help :-)