Source text on main screen turns orange

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

There are a few LiveCDs and I am not that familiar with them, so this may be off... That card needs some modprobe settings to work correctly. In Debian based systems, that is /etc/modprobe.d/options but I am not sure on yours. Also, you need to set up shared memory correctly. The live CD may, or may not do this for you.
technicavolous

Post by technicavolous »

I was going to ask what the modprobe settings are ... see this post

http://www.spinics.net/lists/vfl/msg23728.html

There are many others, google 'modprobe kmc8800' and variations and you will find myriads of people having problems using this card in V4L - however I'm sure it will work fine once the modprobe settings are correct. I'm also certain this is critical!

You will have many problems if the modprobe settings are not correct with all KMC cards - including the 8800 and 4400. Weird stuff happens, childrend fear it, brave men run ...
Tracy Markham

If you take the path of least resistance, you're probably on a downhill journey ...
eug

Post by eug »

technicavolous wrote:I was going to ask what the modprobe settings are ... see this post

http://www.spinics.net/lists/vfl/msg23728.html

There are many others, google 'modprobe kmc8800' and variations and you will find myriads of people having problems using this card in V4L - however I'm sure it will work fine once the modprobe settings are correct. I'm also certain this is critical!

You will have many problems if the modprobe settings are not correct with all KMC cards - including the 8800 and 4400. Weird stuff happens, childrend fear it, brave men run ...
Sorry, things got really busy the past few weeks!

I have already set the card type.. at the moment it's:

options bttv gbuffers=16 card=102,102,102,102,102,102,102,102

Would increasing gbuffers help?
technicavolous

Post by technicavolous »

It looks like the gbuffers command only makes a difference on 'low memory' according to the post I found. I would use 32 if I defined it at all.

I don't personally have an 8800, but I will try to acquire one soon as it seems like a cool card. I've avoided it because of the difficulties I've read people having with it and V4L.

If I may, consider it may be similar to the 4400 in that the ports and chips are not numbered in linear fashion.

Also note that if you have the wrong type defined (pal, ntsc, etc) it will give you these kinds of problems. I saw in one of your posts it notes PAL, if you have ntsc cameras and set it for PAL you'll have troubles.

With 8 bt chips, it could conceivably give 32 inputs (monitors). I've never seen the ZM source dropdown menu have more than 16. My thought is that you may have /dev/video0 - 7 with ports 0-15 twice. (like two 4400's on one card)

/dev/video0 0
/dev/video0 1
/dev/video0 2
/dev/video0 3
/dev/video1 4
/dev/video1 5
/dev/video3 15
/dev/video4 0
/dev/video4 1
/dev/video7 15

Unless the card addresses ports 0-31, in which case I don't know where to go from there. Me personally, I would define all 32 possible monitors, and only click active the ones you actually use. open the montage with all 32 defined and activated and connect a camera - you should be able to figure out the actual port from there.

I personally won't use more than two monitors perr bt chip in linux. At the max of four, I can only get a little over 2.5 fps, but with 2 per chip, I get 5 fps, which is acceptable to my clients for surveillance.

Let me know if this helps - I'll be looking for an 8800 at my local distrib...
Tracy Markham

If you take the path of least resistance, you're probably on a downhill journey ...
lorsungcu

Same issue, Toshiba IK-WB15A IP Cameras

Post by lorsungcu »

I have the same issue as eug - text is green or orange, buffer overruns, changed shared memory allocations, changed buffer size, dropped capture rate on all cameras down to 4fps, nothing. All 7 other cameras work great, and only one does this. Any suggestions? I am using IP cameras and nothing analog, so I'm not sure where to start - i need this working! all other cameras will gladly record at 20fps whenever needed, but this wont do anything no mater what. load is ~4, disk space is at 4%. tail -f /var/log/messages says that it is capturing, but this is not reflected in the events list, timeline, live view or color of the source.