Best distro package...Linux, Debian, Red Hat or what?

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Xicaque

Best distro package...Linux, Debian, Red Hat or what?

Post by Xicaque »

Good Day everyone!

I am trying to figure out what is the best distro package to go with ZM? I am not a coder or verbose in computer commands. I need a package that is just like plug and play. In other words, install OS, install ZM and configure via the features within the application. Is there such think out there for a clean slate like me? :oops:

Tried searching around but was not able to find what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help!

Rob
vox

Re: Best distro package...Linux, Debian, Red Hat or what?

Post by vox »

Xicaque wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:25 pm I am trying to figure out what is the best distro package to go with ZM?
The distribution where you have the easiest / the least difficulty? :)
Xicaque

Post by Xicaque »

Thanks for your answer but it does not help me at all!
SlowScan

Post by SlowScan »

You will have to learn the command line, at least to the extent that you know where and how to look for help, no matter which distro you choose. ZoneMinder just isn't plug and play.

Personally, I prefer Debian over Ubuntu since Debian doesn't try to block the user from becoming root. However, more ZoneMinder installations seem to be on Ubuntu than Debian, so you might find it slightly easier to get help with an Ubuntu installation. Red Hat's package management system differs from that of Debian and Ubuntu, which I greatly prefer.
vox

Post by vox »

Xicaque wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:09 pm Thanks for your answer but it does not help me at all!
Their is not a perfect response to your question. Some people prefer debian for some reason (they often said stability, 99% config is same than Ubuntu, but package are not up-to-date without backport), other prefer Ubuntu (more easy, package more up-to-date by default, more people/tuto for helping, 99% same config of Debian), other rarely prefer BSD (more secure but more difficult and very fewer people to help).

If you are newbee on GNU/Linux, i think the more easy for you is ubuntu.

For the plug and play, ZoneMinder need more contributor (or money) for can make that :)

SlowScan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:49 pm Debian doesn't try to block the user from becoming root
Ubuntu don't block root user, the root user is the main user :) (same with "pi" user on raspbian, a debian distro :) )
Ubuntu-Minimal (on Odroid) as root user different than main user. (same comportment than debian server)
SlowScan

Post by SlowScan »

vox wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 pm
Ubuntu don't block root user, the root user is the main user :) (same with "pi" user on raspbian, a debian distro :) )
Ubuntu-Minimal (on Odroid) as root user different than main user. (same comportment than debian server)
When did that change? When I installed Ubuntu, admittedly several years ago, it defaulted to not being able to become root. The Ubuntu Gods liked to pontificate about the danger of ordinary users being able to SU to root. :x

It didn't take long for me to change back to Debian.
vox

Post by vox »

SlowScan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 pm When did that change? When I installed Ubuntu, admittedly several years ago, it defaulted to not being able to become root.
I don't really understand. If i need going to root user i just tape "sudo su" (on ubuntu or raspbian) or "su" on debian/ubuntu minimal. I have some server, for me ubuntu/Debian it's same (i just prefer ubuntu on server for more up-to-date software by default but if not it's same).
SlowScan

Post by SlowScan »

vox wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:24 am
I don't really understand. If i need going to root user i just tape "sudo su" (on ubuntu or raspbian) or "su" on debian/ubuntu minimal. I have some server, for me ubuntu/Debian it's same (i just prefer ubuntu on server for more up-to-date software by default but if not it's same).
That doesn't make you root. It just gives you temporary root privileges when you provide your user password. On Debian, typing "su" prompts you for the root password, not your user password. You then become root and have full root privileges.
vox

Post by vox »

SlowScan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 pm That doesn't make you root. It just gives you temporary root privileges when you provide your user password. On Debian, typing "su" prompts you for the root password, not your user password. You then become root and have full root privileges.
comparaison_root-ubuntu_ubuntuMinimal_raspbian.png
comparaison_root-ubuntu_ubuntuMinimal_raspbian.png (48.95 KiB) Viewed 258576 times

I can lunch exactly the same command and i can stay in root during the time that i want.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Another option is to use a pre configured install like the Lubuntu on a stick. That includes Zoneminder installed with the OS. It works and is a way to get a system up and running. See the WIKI.
Toasty

Post by Toasty »

I prefer CentOS myself, but ZM seems to be happiest with Ubuntu. Mainly because that's the distro that sees the most active ZM development, from what I can tell.
zemerdon

Post by zemerdon »

Had problems with a monitor going stale with ubuntu under VM.

Switched to debian 11 with same config and all problems gone plus runs faster with less resources.

I used the following guide and it worked flawlessly...

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_11_B ... der_1.36.x
happnatious1

Post by happnatious1 »

Cant recommend debian 11 for zoneminder, something is broken with respect to rtsp streams. I can open a media stream from a hikvision camera using vlc on my linux mint machine but not from vlc on debian 11. Log says something about "only real/helix rtsp servers supported for now." no matching access modules.