ZM on FreeBSD

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
markcurry

Re: ZM on FreeBSD

Post by markcurry »

abi wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 8:41 pm vendor_perl under FreeBSD is /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
Thanks Bro! works great for me too after installing.
xplitz27

Post by xplitz27 »

I just want to say thanks everyone! I finally installed a working zoneminder in my FreeBSD/FreeNas machine (with a few errors because of my ip camera). Since we know its working well, would we see a working zoneminder "# pkg install zoneminder" in the future? (somewhat a hassle free way of configuring it?)

Thanks alot! I was thinking doing this a few years back with no hope of installing it. Now its possible. Thanks!
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

mary: read back up the thread; that turned out to be a misconfigured fcgi-wrap.
fqhrfrenzy

Post by fqhrfrenzy »

So has anyone actually gotten ZM to run properly on FreeBSD in it entirety? Reason I ask is I have been able to get it running and doing what it needs to do up until the API. I cannot get the API's to work at all for external controls. There is a very long time frame from original post to now and was wondering where it actually stood. The package install does do most of the work for you to get it running. There is a simple fix for the camera displaying the actual camera name not just N on the "Timestamp Label Format", Add %%N instead of %N simple fixes like that. There are a lot of little things that have to go down to get it working and I have wonderful notes on all of it. I want to move it off of a dedicated server running Linux into a jail on FreeBSD so I have less to maintain but right now I just cant get it to do what it needs to do properly. It throws a LOT of errors all the time as well unlike Linux. Atleast in a jail you just kill it and create a new one if it breaks. Beats reinstalling the OS on a dedicated server.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

fqhrfrenzy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:36 pm So has anyone actually gotten ZM to run properly on FreeBSD in it entirety? Reason I ask is I have been able to get it running and doing what it needs to do up until the API. I cannot get the API's to work at all for external controls. There is a very long time frame from original post to now and was wondering where it actually stood. The package install does do most of the work for you to get it running. There is a simple fix for the camera displaying the actual camera name not just N on the "Timestamp Label Format", Add %%N instead of %N simple fixes like that. There are a lot of little things that have to go down to get it working and I have wonderful notes on all of it. I want to move it off of a dedicated server running Linux into a jail on FreeBSD so I have less to maintain but right now I just cant get it to do what it needs to do properly. It throws a LOT of errors all the time as well unlike Linux. Atleast in a jail you just kill it and create a new one if it breaks. Beats reinstalling the OS on a dedicated server.
%%N was not a perfect solution.
The good news is the issue with % character in the timestamp on *BSD systems has been addressed:
https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/issues/1865
https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/pull/1972

If the zoneminder api is not working, make sure php apcu module is installed. The package goes by different names like apcu, apcu-bc, or pecl-apcu-bc, etc depending on what version of php and what operating system you are on.

This user reported success:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26131&p=100361&hil ... cu#p100361

But then I heard from another user that this only works with php5, not php7. So I'm not entirely sure where we stand on this.

In my opinion, the best people to ask questions regarding ZoneMinder on FreeBSD are @schrorg @abishai (see the github issues above) as they have been at the front of diagnosing and fixing issues specific to FreeBSD.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

Did you expect those @'s to tag the users?

Cause that appears to be turned off -- at least, there's no visible indication it was an alerting tag...
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Baylink wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:19 pm Did you expect those @'s to tag the users?

Cause that appears to be turned off -- at least, there's no visible indication it was an alerting tag...
No, I did not. The "@" is a github notation.
That's why I referred the reader to the relevant github issues.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

Well, it's user tagging notation lots of places...

And since "Report Post" is still 404, I thought it might be something expected to tag a user, and which wasn't working.
da7

Post by da7 »

I used this these instructions to install ZM:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6clHa ... hvcjQ/view

ONVIF probe do not work.

Code: Select all

Unable to probe network cameras, status is '255'. Output was:

No results from GetCapabilities: SOAP-ENV:ServerError deserializing message:
unbound prefix at line 2, column 2969, byte 3008 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/SOAP/WSDL/Expat/Base.pm line 79.
at line 2 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/SOAP/WSDL/Expat/Base.pm line 82.
What could be wrong?
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

This is just a heads up that we have begun a push for the next version of ZoneMinder.
It will be called 1.32.0. Today, we are working through some issues so a release is not yet imminent.

For those that have helped in the past keep ZoneMinder compatible with FreeBSD, this is your chance to get ahead of the release curve and provide feedback to us on our github site, regarding any incompatibilities that may have been introduced with the latest changes.

None of us on the development team run ZoneMinder on FeeeBSD. We are entirely dependent on the community to keep ZoneMinder compatible with FreeBSD.

We appreciate the help.
abi

Post by abi »

I was lazy to test it in time (surveillance software in controlled environment is hardly a suitable candidate for immediate upgrade) and no one poked me.
But now it is done. https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_ ... ?id=233289

I've tested the following:
1) h264 backend
2) web interface
3) zmNinja
4) upgrade path from 1.30.4
Looks like everything is OK (at least in my test box)

But I have a strong feeling that I'm the only user of ZM FreeBSD port. :P
DumDum

Post by DumDum »

But I have a strong feeling that I'm the only user of ZM FreeBSD port. :P
Not true :wink:
drnick999

Post by drnick999 »

Is there any way to upgrade zoneminder to the current build on freeBSD? I cant find anything other than using ports which still has v1.34.21
abi

Post by abi »

drnick999 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:20 pm Is there any way to upgrade zoneminder to the current build on freeBSD? I cant find anything other than using ports which still has v1.34.21
To be honest, I didn't upgrade 1.34 to the latest as 1.34 was extremely stable in my environment. Devs did a great job with 1.34 and I have years of uptime.
Here is patch for 1.36.5 against current port tree
https://bz-attachments.freebsd.org/atta ... ?id=227353

You must be familiar with FreeBSD port system to use the patch or wait a bit while committers review it.
drnick999

Post by drnick999 »

Thank you abi. I would of tried the patch you sent but I missed your reply until now. To my surprise someone updated the zoneminder truenas plugin to 1.36.5 and so far so good!